DIY Hand scraper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigitalM

Established Member
Reaction score
I was just watching a video on hand scraping and looked up the price of buying a tool and insert/blade. The tool came out at £80+vat which seems steep for something not more advanced than a chisel, and another £44+vat for the blade/insert. £150 inc. total which seems madness. In fact it was the same tool (Sandvik) criticised in the following video:

https://youtu.be/QJXqHpSh3SE?t=620

However my main question is this. In the video (it should start in the right place from the link ... 10m20s) he shows a shop built tool. I wondered what type of steel he was using that has that kind of spring/flex when flat stock at 400mm x 20mm x 4mm. He doesn't specifically say, but he suggests that getting the right amount of give is important to the tool feel and use. Obviously some steels will be very much more inflexible.

Brilliant. Such well made hilarious videos.

Still need a biax like scraper though, but the ToT design is also interesting. I've seen a price for one quite a bit less than i originally said. Not much choice for competitive shopping however!

Back