flattening a slab what router bit??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johndough

Reaction score
ive read so much about it and every one has a different bit, there that pricey i wana get the right one

i have a£600 slab of elm i dont wana hurt ..

ive looked at
Freud 1/4" Radius Dish Carving Bit with 1/2" Shank (99-026)

Surface Trim 3 Wing

and a few others liek infinity but hey dotn seem to get the votes ..

at £100 a bt i wana know im geting a good one ...the right one

ive seen peeps saying some bits like the dish bits dont require sanding there they good ! not that im bothered as i will be sanding

alsoMagnate-Surface-Planing-Bottom-Cleaning

Wealden are very good when it comes to router cutters, a league above Trend and They're cheaper. Although I've never used their surfacing bits it would be my first choice.

https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Surfacing_6.html

I've always had Trend bits shatter/explode on me while I'm using them and they're far too expensive to constantly replace so I started using Wealden bits and I've not had one shatter nor explode yet. I've gotten the full life out of each bit before having to replace them. Can't recommend enough.

I've just flattened a 620mm burr using a standard 1/2" TCT bit.
Edit: 3/4" not 1/2"

I use a bowl bit about 1 1/4" across. But it doesnt really matter what you use, you will still have to sand afterwards.
The quality of the router is more important. I had a Powerplus router that gave quite deep skidmarks on every cut. Decided it was bearing play and switched to a Bosch router. Although that is at least 20 years old and second hand, it leaves a better finish than the brand new powerpkus did.

i rang them and they advised me to get . wealdentool. com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Surface_Trepanning_928.html

said i can replace blades for £15 and wil do alot better job than the 3win i was going to get that he said wil be blunt half way through
so fair play
then gave me advice on my slab was amazing support,

so i think im gona do that..
as for the router im going to rent the bosh in jewsons its a £360 router 24hrs for £30

johndough":2eklfzcu said:
as for the router im going to rent the bosh in jewsons its a £360 router 24hrs for £30

If you're not in an urgent rush it might actually be more cost effective to buy a second-hand router off eBay for around the £30 mark or a little more and keep it rather than rent one. You could probably sell it again on eBay if you've got no intention of keeping it and make most of your money back on it.

I would probably go for one of these routers as people overlook the Ryobi RE-600 routers mostly because the Ryobi name is attached and they assume it's a hobby grade machine so they don't fetch silly money like Makita or Dewalt. I can tell you from experience these are as robust and heavy duty as they come and the motor is 3HP which is great for heavy operations like surfacing or panel raising in the router table. If you think you might use a router again in the future it would definitely be a worthwhile purchase even if it sits around for months. Plus whatever you rent from Jewsons is gonna be pretty hanging and ancient more than likely.

Now thats more in my price range. That trepanning bit at well over a £100 is out of my pocket money.

30 quid / day????

When I was in an industry that hired lots of stuff, the going rate, for VERY expensive kit, (and the cheapest) was around 1% of the capital cost per day. Not per hour! Even then, you still easily recoup the outlay on popular items within a year. I have often contemplated buying shares in Jewsons - they know their direct customers aren't price sensitive, as they in turn pass on costs to the ultimate client.

Bear in mind too, that the hire counter probably knows next-to-nothing about router care & feeding (and probably doesn't care), neither do previous hirers. If you can, take a knowledgeable mate with you when you hire, to check the machine out before you accept it. In particular look for collet wear and any float in the shaft. 90% of the time they've probably been used for kitchen worktops, and in the hands of a novice, that means bearing and collet wear (as they try to take too-deep cuts with gummy or dull cutters).

Yours is one of those tasks where a good-quality router in good nick will make shedloads of difference, as will the quality of the trammel arrangement you contrive -- straightness, parallelism and sag of the crosspiece(s). The better you can do the powered part, the less stock you will waste and the less sanding later to finish.

Bear in mind also that fitting your router to the trammel box, or adapting the trammel box to the router will also come out of your hire cost.

And it would be a good idea to practice on some cheap stock too. I've got Wealden's six-wing cutter, and have used it a lot for small jobs where it's worked well. So it was a surprise how pernickety it was when I had to do a big slab of oak, which was rather precious to its owner. That said, the method saved the piece, as we could micro-adjust it to eliminate wind with minimum waste - putting it through a planer without a sled would almost certainly have been a disaster.

There are a number of good YouTube tutorials on doing this, too.

Can you make thin wedges? Do you have a good method planned for holding the workpiece down? Your first task will almost certainly be getting one side out of wind, so do you have a flat enough and big enough surface to work on?

Plan carefully and if you _must_ hire, get everything as ready as possible beforehand (e.g. find the mounting hole positions on the router plate via t'internet, before hiring).

Final thought though: is there any workshop near you who has a wide enough spiral block planer/thicknesser? The finish is remarkable usually, and it might be worth paying the hire fee to them instead!

E.

PS: That six-wing cutter is 38.90 (plus postage). Where did you get 100 quid from - are those gold-plated?

Erek.
The original poster mentioned treppaning bits from wealdons, they have replacable blades, but are over a 100. I often flatten timber using a router, so i was interested (untill I saw the price). The 38 quid option has me very interested. It just might find it way onto my xmas wish list.

I can also vouch for the 6 Wing. You will likely have minor machining marks (I suspect due to flex in my sled setup), but nothing that one or two strokes with a plane won't remove.

I have a 1/4 inch shank tri wing cutter and it's great. Very useful. For something big like your job, I strongly recommend a 3+ wing cutter from a decent maker. 1/2" shank would obviously be better for a big surface.

Oh - and how much would a CNC routing business charge to flatten it ? Perfect machine for the job - the operation is basically the same as flattening a new spoil board, just a few more passes.

I believe the replaceable cutters are usually made of a harder carbide as they don't need to be brazed onto the router bit. So as well being replaceable they give a better cut and longer lifetime.

-Neil

Robbo3":27vd0sv6 said:
I've just flattened a 620mm burr using a standard 1/2" TCT bit.
I flattened a large tree slice using a sharpened 25mm flute bit. Do the 6 wing jobbies just make the job quicker (larger diameter) or do they leave a better finish as well? With the 25mm flute bit I wasn't really restricted for depth of cut- it'd quite happily remove 15mm high spots. Are the 6 wing cutters limited for depth ?
I've got some large slabs that would need router sledding.It'd be interesting to hear the pro's over a normal straight flute bit.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I have a 6 wing cutter from wealden
I would not take more than 1mm depth of cut at a time
and hold on tight

Steve

SteveF":377ubc0p said:
I have a 6 wing cutter from wealden
I would not take more than 1mm depth of cut at a time
and hold on tight

Steve
Wowsers, so what's the appeal with them then ? It can't be speed if you're limited to 1-2mm per pass.....I'm genuinely intrigued now.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

only appeal is the clean cut
not any use in a router table either
I tried to take a 2mm pass to run a "rebate" in a walnut counter top
what a mess after I managed to re-seat my table insert
I would imagine in a full on cnc machine it would be perfect for spoiler board flattening
Steve

Back