Aldi/Workzone Palm Router Review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8squared

Established Member
Reaction score
I had wanted a palm router for quite some time but for the few times/jobs i would use it for i wasn't happy to pay around £100 for one.... until i seen one for sale in Aldi for £25.

28vdmax.jpg

It comes with a nice branded bag, fence, spanner, guide bush, micro adjustment guide, straight bit and spare brushes for the motor.

10wuujk.jpg

15i43ee.jpg

Router bit came with spots of rust for those that like a little old/vintage feel to their tools.

2yzfxtx.jpg

This is the micro adjustment guide.... it's useless, it attaches to the side of clear part and the black screw piece sits over the router bit but there are no measurements so you would have to measure between it and the base of router then adjust the base........ the easier solution is to just push the base down and measure how much of the bit is past the base with a tape measure/vernier caliper.

330zivd.jpg

I wasn't expecting too much but after a good play around with it i am actually quite happy with it, it works well and a lot quieter than i thought.... i'm now going to build a small router table for it.

Being cheap it doesn't feel cheap at all (excluding accessories of course) and ergonomically it feels good in the hand... the clear base doesn't slide easily over the router so adjustment of the bit depth is a little tedious.

The clamping mechanism sits at the front which i'm not too keen on... maybe to the side may of been nicer but that's just my opinion........ it also closes and locks easily but i suspect under the right usage it may let the clear part (don't know the proper name) slide up or down and mess things up.............. the easy solution to that is to give the nylon lock nut a little extra turn.

2lue69h.jpg

The spindle lock is nice and big but... if holding the router like a pint glass and using your thumb to push it in... the edge of the tool isn't sharp nor is it rounded and it does dig into your skin a little.

znvpg9.jpg

The fence guide is thin-ish coated aluminium and attaches like so... giving just over 3" of use but it's just a little off square but a little bend in a vice would fix that.

2sadnpk.jpg

r8dyc7.jpg

The base is in two parts and is attached with four screws... undoing these screws allows you to put the guide bush in between before screwing back together..... sadly one of the four screws rounded off on first try so now glamorous shouts of it in place.

Overall a good piece of kit for little jobs or little use it will get.

A good review thanks.

I got the Katsu from Amazon which although cost a little bit more at £34 but seems to be far more robust with a metal body, sleeve and attachments, (and has variable speeds?).

I have used it quit a bit and I find it really useful. It comes with some useful extras (all metal rather than plastic), and it looks virtually identical to the much more expensive Makita.

I wonder how long it will take before it is suggested this is made in the same place as the Bosch one? ;)

Ho ho, I suspect not ;-)

I have the Katsu and its pretty good for a cheapie

Is it as good as a Bosche no of course not but does a job for not a lot

Bodgers":2pegdv1k said:
I wonder how long it will take before it is suggested this is made in the same place as the Bosch one? ;)

That depends, how much will it irritate you? :twisted:

I called in to a couple of Aldis to try and get one of these palm routers but they had sold out. Sold out online as well. I opted for a Katsu and, having received it the day after ordering it courtesy of Amazon Prime, I think it was worth the extra fiver it cost. It is a solid piece of kit and the sleeve is aluminium not plastic and it has a variable speed control.

Well... if this one doesn't last i'll certainly take a look at the Katsu router.

As for the metal router tables i had one when thy where £15 but for some reason now they've gone way up in price.... but i found trying to adjust the depth of cut was a hassle and the table wasn't very good anyway so got rid of it and i won't be buying another ever again.

Back