Rutlands Thicknesser XT3520

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ObservantGround28

Established Member
Reaction score
i posted this deal earlier, a lot of these machines seem generic, ive taken a punt and paid with paypal for a little insurance.

i cant find any other thicknessers that style 2000w, infeed and outfeed tables look like thin pressed steel with a rather odd raised portion (only thing i can think of is its to make them more rigid, replacement blades are slightly expensive at 30 quid, hopefully another source can be found

for the price it seems like a genuine deal

Thanks. Sorry, I didn’t see your earlier post and I hadn’t considered the blade replacement point you made. I can’t find a set of blades that size (closest was 350mm) and the price difference was only a couple of quid.

Think I’ll sit tight on this occasion. I would be interested to know what you think about it after you’ve put it through it’s paces though.

If you check out Woodford you will probably find the replacement blades at a decent price

My own Makita thicknesser is still on the original blades after a couple of years :)

ObservantGround28":cspgv61m said:
Thanks. Sorry, I didn’t see your earlier post and I hadn’t considered the blade replacement point you made. I can’t find a set of blades that size (closest was 350mm) and the price difference was only a couple of quid.

Think I’ll sit tight on this occasion. I would be interested to know what you think about it after you’ve put it through it’s paces though.

dont let the knifes put you off
, slightly narrower wouldnt matter or the 350mm ones and grind off 5mm simple

350mm ones on that link for under 14 quid

I did wonder about that and wether grinding them down was an option. Ultimately I’ve left it for now. I’m sure another deal will come along. Thanks!

Did anyone else go for this? Mine arrived promptly got it out of the box and set up... Looks like ive bought a lemon! It wouldnt feed. Wound the block right back up. Turned it on.. Neither the infeed or outfeed rollers are turning. Blade appears to be turning fine!

So. My first large item from rutlands lets hope the customer service is better than people seem to say

Alex
Have you used a similar thicknesser before ?

You may need coaxing through the procedure :lol:

i had a triton one, but i was tired and its possible im missing something silly. do you know something i dont?

they got back to me and suggested the drive belt, without even taking it a apart i have my doubts, the block is spinning and i think its likely that the belt only connects to the block, i dont have time to go look this morning,

they are sold out so i either have to repair it or send it back for a refund,

I have the JET version of this machine.
The cutting block is driven by a belt at one end of the rising unit. the rollers are run by a set of chains from the other end. I dont know if its one motor with a drive at both ends, or two separate motors.

Everything lifts of from above as you undo all the allen bolts, so it wont take long to see where the problem is.

Cheers bob. Will have a look tonight. I guess its possible the chain has came off in transit.

Is the chain driven off the cutter block?
Thanks

On mine the chain is driven from what appears to be a second motor, in line with the one that drives the cutter, but Mine is a JET, so no guarantees yours is identical.

But they are simple mechanical systems. It will be very easy to find the fault, just depends if its a slipped belt / chain or a dud motor.

Well after taking the outer case off i can see the belt is fine and that side runs fine however the other side with the sprockets and chain doesn't run at all. The chains are in place and intact.

When you said 2 motors bob i thought no chance but on closer inspection its hard to see how the one at the belt side could also drive the one with the chain. If i could get the motor housing off easy then i could check. I think it could be as simple as a loose spade connector to a 2nd motor because the ones to the on switch fell off when i looked at them funny.

Have you ever had the motor housing off? It looks like a fairly well sealed unit

I havent. I removed the chains and rollers (just because I'm a nosy so and so) shortly after I first got it. I found one of the roller bearing blocks was heat discoloured so i greased everything up before putting it all back. But the motor(s) have not caused a problem.

As you got it so cheap, i think its worth getting further into it. youve already informed rutlands, so if you really cant get it going you can still get your money back, and if you find a loose connection, all well and good.

Alexfn":311ynti0 said:
Well after taking the outer case off i can see the belt is fine and that side runs fine however the other side with the sprockets and chain doesn't run at all. The chains are in place and intact.

When you said 2 motors bob i thought no chance but on closer inspection its hard to see how the one at the belt side could also drive the one with the chain. If i could get the motor housing off easy then i could check. I think it could be as simple as a loose spade connector to a 2nd motor because the ones to the on switch fell off when i looked at them funny.

Have you ever had the motor housing off? It looks like a fairly well sealed unit

Any joy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not had the time to look at it again.

Hope to get time tonight or tomorrow. Will update how i get on with the machine and rutlands customer service. At the moment they are encouraging me to strip it right down.

I think i must have been just unlucky as if more people had problems they would Have been on here about it.

still not had time to go back to the rutlands

the triton fine for small work, struggled with any wide boards, eventually killed it and wouldnt buy another, i know they are due to bring out a 1800w version and i think it needs that more powerful motor

Grabbed one in the sale, mainly so we can clean up offcuts for laser cutting. Have probably run it for all of 20 minutes over the last 2 months and the chain that drives the in-feed roller has destroyed itself somehow. Any thoughts on what they'll suggest? I'm sure that even with my limited knowledge I could replace the chain but not sure what Rutlands policies are...

Thanks

Back