Help with my first table saw - a SIP 1332

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westwood

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a relative newbie to the forum so be gentle .
Recently bought at auction a SIP 10 inch 132 for £50.
Its solid and clean and runs ok, but lacks basic safety kit like a riving knife and blade guard, and has no fence nor front and rear rails. So I'm considering getting those and an extraction system. And a new blade or two....I should have said I'm a hobbyist with some skills with a long list of household built ins and storage projects in mind. So much handling of large sheets etc.planned. I have 13 amp sockets in my garage at the mo but have three phases power to the house
Some questions : is this a saw worth spending on to bring it into reasonable condition?
Is it English made ?
Member GrahamF pointed out that the iTech Scott and Sergeant model is almost identical. Does that mean that spare parts from that will fit the SIP ?
My saw has an old style switch. Can I fit a later one with the red button you can hit with your knee? I'm keen to make it as safe and user friendly as poss.
Sip couldn't tell me exactly when I gave them the serial number but with a bit of delving we've worked out that the saw dates from about 2003.
I notice that several members on here have the SIP 1332 so would be very interested to hear views or suggestions etc please. thanks in advance

Following on from the other thread. These saws are Chinese imports, badged SIP & iTech and maybe others. Power supply isn't a problem, just take a spur off a 13a socket and fit a 16amp one, they draw less than a 3 bar fire. Having a browse around the net, new fences and rails of the original type cost several hundred pounds. There's complete saw on ebay and it may be cheaper to bid on that and sell yours again, rather than buy all the missing bits..

Thanks for swift response Graham. I paid £50 and I've just seen that one on eBay which looks handsome and probably in better nick than mine. Problem for me would be getting it from Shropshire , as I live in Jersey, so I need to add £300 plus by the time I've booked a ferry and driven 300 plus miles, etc. I'm sure I could sell mine here but not sure that an eBay purchase works economically for me. As I could get the missing bits for less than saw in wales will go for.
From what you've said, I'm guessing that spares are the same on both models: iTech and SIP

You should be able to make your own riving knife with an angle grinder and some filing if you have suitable material.
Just as long as the thickness is less than the teeth but more than the saw plate, and is some good material, I used stainless for mine
you could make a cardboard riving knife and trace that onto some stainless, presuming there's boat places that might have cutoffs where you are.
Axminster could have generic parts like what you might want for a tablesaw fence, or....
A good few folks have the biesemeyer fence or adapted on it, you might have luck in finding shop made ones if you type that into google.

The switch can be left alone and you can make your own paddle for it, Carl Holmgren has some videos on his designs using toggle switches,
Kelly Mehler and others have used the plank on hinges like what I've done, only I've mashed both designs together.
There's a video called masteryourtablesaw online if you can find it, it's worth a watch, pity its not on youtube anymore :(

Tom

Attachments

• Paddle switch 2.jpg
    Paddle switch 2.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,146
  • Paddle switch 1.jpg
    Paddle switch 1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,146
Love the plank idea, a simple button or even an NVR is not easy to find under the edge of the fence rail, just a knee push and the saw is turned off, brilliant.

Mike

This is my kickstop. It works superbly. 6mm MDF, so it is a bit flexible and doesn't crush the switch when I kick it.

kickstop.jpg

I also have a home-made beismeyer-style fence. I don't need it as the Xcalibur has a superb fence anyway, but it is easy to make one like this:

toggle fence.JPG

In that picture it is also fitted with a fine-adjuster short rip fence and a home-made SUVA guard.

Attachments

• kickstop.jpg
    kickstop.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 1,147
  • toggle fence.JPG
    toggle fence.JPG
    247.1 KB · Views: 1,147
Thanks for all the replies so far. I only wish e bay was a more realistic option for me as that SIP available now looks a good bet.
Not sure that I will make my own fences as yet , surely I need exemplary skills to make sure everything is perfectly square ?

That's only a matter of having accurate ways of measuring things, or things you can trust like the table would be a good reference point
Another thing to do is drilling smaller holes before stepping up to the final sizes and have some suitable files for the job incase of drill wandering issues.

Westwood":2ssm1p1v said:
Thanks for all the replies so far. I only wish e bay was a more realistic option for me as that SIP available now looks a good bet.
Not sure that I will make my own fences as yet , surely I need exemplary skills to make sure everything is perfectly square ?

As a temporary measure, a straight edge can be clamped to the table for ripping and for 90 degree cross cuts you can make a sled, which is far more accurate than the standard sloppy mitre gauges. Have look around the YouTube videos, typical example here - https://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos ... -cut-sled/

Westwood":qhmjpcz0 said:
I'm a relative newbie to the forum so be gentle .
Recently bought at auction a SIP 10 inch 132 for £50.
Its solid and clean and runs ok, but lacks basic safety kit like a riving knife and blade guard, and has no fence nor front and rear rails. So I'm considering getting those and an extraction system. And a new blade or two....I should have said I'm a hobbyist with some skills with a long list of household built ins and storage projects in mind. So much handling of large sheets etc.planned. I have 13 amp sockets in my garage at the mo but have three phases power to the house
Some questions : is this a saw worth spending on to bring it into reasonable condition?
Is it English made ?
Member GrahamF pointed out that the iTech Scott and Sergeant model is almost identical. Does that mean that spare parts from that will fit the SIP ?
My saw has an old style switch. Can I fit a later one with the red button you can hit with your knee? I'm keen to make it as safe and user friendly as poss.
Sip couldn't tell me exactly when I gave them the serial number but with a bit of delving we've worked out that the saw dates from about 2003.
I notice that several members on here have the SIP 1332 so would be very interested to hear views or suggestions etc please. thanks in advance

If you can't retro fit at least a riving knife I would consider getting something else that does.

May sound extreme, but it is the one safety bit that, if you are new to this, could get you in a whole world of trouble if you do not know what you are doing at a table saw without one.

Bodgers":2mr602d2 said:
If you can't retro fit at least a riving knife I would consider getting something else that does.

May sound extreme, but it is the one safety bit that, if you are new to this, could get you in a whole world of trouble if you do not know what you are doing at a table saw without one.

Can I suggest you order 2 of them? The standard one finishes much higher than the blade as the guard mounts onto it so, if using a sled it gets in the way and also stops the saw being used for grooving. I cut a second one down so it finishes level with the blade top, still does its job when guard not being used but doesn't get in the way. A couple of minutes to change them over by slackening/tightening 2 bolts. Riving knife & blade guard here -

https://www.sipuk.co.uk/sip-64088-rivin ... e-saw.html

https://www.sipuk.co.uk/sip-64091-blade ... e-saw.html

Thanks again guys, I'm about to order a blade guard and riving knife - maybe two of the knives as you suggest. I think then I can clean the saw up, check everything and see how it runs, If its ok, I'll change the blade for a new one and make a temporary fence for the first trial cuts. I have a decent piece of 3" x 2" mahogany for that and will also try an aluminium extrusion that I can get from a local window fabricator, a piece of scrap sliding window frame. Hopefully I should then know whether the saw is worth persevering with and fully refurbishing. I'd also want to get a proper extract to go with it. I see SIP do one but there must be many options, any suggestions please ?
Graham, I see that the saw on e bay has reached its reserve already, and who knows what it will go for.
As explained, I won't bid, but will certainly watch the sale, and yes if it goes for less than £500, it would be less than the cost of all the parts I need if I buy them as new spares......

Interesting Graham, thanks. Had a look at that S and S fence and it seems to come with a rail, 50 mm diameter steel section, just plain , no graduations or measuring by the look of it. The SIP one looks better in pictures but costs substantially more as you buy the fence and front rail separately

I see the one on eBay just sold for £561. Looked in good order so somebody got a bargain.

Resurrecting this thread in the hope of finding member TomGW.
He had some SIP saw parts possibly available back in January which I was after.
have sent him a pm but no response so far.
Anybody know him or have contact details please ?

Back