Clarke Pillar / press drill - on button lock in failure?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flintandsteel

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok it's an old beastie and it is a Clarke 12EB vintage 1987
Don't laugh.

Was working fine before coffee break, came back but the start button refuses to stay locked in.
Checked it out of the machine and mechanically it will lock in so the fault mush be closer to the motor.
On keeping pressing the button the motor works fine.

Just need a short list of logical things to hit with a big hammer ! or prod with a vac nozzle as it's in a very dusty environment.

Jon

Is it a No-Volt-Release switch, i.e. it has a green go and red stop button and won't automatically turn on after a power cut?

If so the switch is likely to be the culprit and cheap and easy to replace.

That's the one. If the motor's running while I hold the button in then I let go and it stops. A fraction of a second later there's a click from the motor area like something disengaging.

Mechanically the switch works fine when out of the housing. Press the ON button and the little bar springs up and locks in as it should. Press stop and it disengages, as it should. Curious?

It can only be tested if you are familiar with using a multimeter. In fact two multimeters.

Replace the switch. there are no user servicable parts inside. They do fail, if thats been working since 1987 you are so far ahead of the game its unreal.

It will function differently in-situ and removed. It's the initial switch on that holds the switch in, hence when the power drops it resets to off and stops it coming on by accident.

Serviceable parts
Ok so nothing to loose I stripped the switch down.
Noted slightly spark eroded contacts. Cleaned them up and IT LIVES AGAIN.
Several small springs and screws to take care not to loose but otherwise can be done with the box still attached to the machine.
Overall, I blame myself as I will be changing it soon, just not today. Maybe it's telepathic?

Still looking for recommendations for an older type pillar drill for woodworking but NOT a Meddings.
Must have a windup table as vital to accurate work and an availability of spare parts such as quill related etc.

The accent was on "user". Most folk get scared with electric and lose all the fiddly bits. well done for getting it going. it must be the oldest NVR here. =D> =D>

It's worth keeping large clear plastic bags if you suspect you might encounter what the biking community sometimes calls "ping-fokits" (or similar).

Do the disassembly with object and hands well inside bag. This gives the little blighters almost nowhere to escape to...

Back