Engineering Toolboxes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyolith

Established Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of investing in a draw toolbox for engineering tools (micrometres, taps, files, etc). I have had some expierence with a sealey one and think the quality of that was a bit wanting (though certainly not awful), particularly considering how expensive these things are.

Mainly I want recommendations of makes. From looking in shops the Draper and Taron ones seemed the highest quality and best value respectively, least of those that I beeen able to handle.

Rhyolith":3ssj3t53 said:
I am thinking of investing in a draw toolbox for engineering tools (micrometres, taps, files, etc). I have had some expierence with a sealey one and think the quality of that was a bit wanting (though certainly not awful), particularly considering how expensive these things are.

Mainly I want recommendations of makes. From looking in shops the Draper and Taron ones seemed the highest quality and best value respectively, least of those that I beeen able to handle.

Main difference I found is the quality of the drawer slides, you want them to slide easily and not sag when the drawer is heavily loaded. Worth popping into Machine Mart to have a look at the difference between cheap and expensive they always have a lot on display.

I bought a set of three chests from Halfords. Marked as their "professional" line. double ball bearing runners, locking, with rubber mats in each drawer.
15 years on and they are well hammered (as well as shippped from UK to Cyprus) and still working faultlessly. If I wanted more I would buy the same.

I got one from eBay. The make was us pro. Quality seems good. I wasn't that impressed with the Halfords or machine mart ones, so took a punt that paid off.

Yeah I was judging by drawer mechanism ‘niceness’ and of the ones in that shop (Charlie’s Aberystwyth) draper ones had best feel, though they were also very expensive. There were also a make called Taron, which were priced like sealeys but felt a little better quality.

There’s no machine mart for 2-3 hours innany direction for me :lol: Though I like Charlie’s more than most DIY stores to be honest, feels like its more functional.

This is a bit of a minefield as most of these boxes are generic chinese under dozens of different badges. I'm looking for a 3 or 4 drawer 26" middle box I can use for the same purpose. Something with side handles and small enough to lift in and out the car.
I like the look of the Hilka Pro boxes (about £80) from the pictures but there's a UK business (SGS-engineering) importing very similar kit with their own badge that sells well on ebay and has a good website.

Interesting aside, a group of US manufacturers just lobbied and got additional import duties imposed on various sizes of Chinese made tool cabinets. Beautiful example of protectionism for domestic companies that can't compete. USA Free Trade ? Pah !
Expect to see the size and style of tool cabs alter as firms rework their designs to avoid the US duties.

To me, good = higher weight rating of the roller slides, thicker steel (heavier when empty), better welding.

Rhyolith":xkht7qi4 said:
MikeJhn":xkht7qi4 said:
Have you seen these adjustable inserts : https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+hand-tool ... oKEALw_wcB

Mike
My problem with these is they don’t allow anywhere near as many tools per draw, which ends up meaning that I need more toolboxes. Something I can’t afford (yet :roll: ).

Well your original post was to store engineering tools, those inserts will protect them, just lumping everything into a drawer will eventually damage any engineering tool or worse compromise the calibration, hence the suggestion.

Mike

Its basically just taps, files and mics that need protecting. Those come in boxes for the most part anyway. Spanners, sockets, screwdrivers, scribes, etc don’t need it.

Watch gumtree, ebay and facebook for good second hand stuff. I have a big MAC rollcab and topbox in my garage, cost £200. Infinitely better quality than any of the new stuff of equivalent price. Clarke HD stuff is pretty good.

I always check ebay first for these kind if things. Trouble is draw toolboxes seem to go for next to new prices, indeed they seem to be one of the most constistantly expensive secondhand tools about.

Went for a Taron one from Charlies in the end. I looked at the halfords ones (as they two shops are right next to each other anyway) and even with the half price deal they have at the moment, they were still £80 more expensive for a comparable model... on top of that I thought the build quality of the Taron seemed better, with generally thicker metal everywhere and rollers that seemed to perform better under load (i just lent on them slightly and rolled the draws in and out to test this in the shops). So it was a no brainier in the end (seriously, charlies should replace B&Q, Homebase and Halfords everywhere in my opinion).

DSC_2648 by Rhyolith, on Flickr
DSC_2649 by Rhyolith, on Flickr
DSC_2650 by Rhyolith, on Flickr
DSC_2651 by Rhyolith, on Flickr

Be interesting to see how it holds up.

Back