Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should add - the live edge “doors” are hinged, and held in place by tiny rare earth magnets in the inside of the carcass and the end grain of the walnut. Works a treat!

Oak bathroom wall cabinet (almost finished)
IMG_2422.JPG

IMG_2423.JPG

All joints are shallow M&T with a couple of additional plugged screws in the bottom for peace of mind.

Attachments

• IMG_2422.JPG
    IMG_2422.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_2423.JPG
    IMG_2423.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 177
Whilst cutting logs for the winter wood pile I came across a piece of yew. It seemed a shame to burn it. Nothing special, I’m not an experienced turner, but I do love the grain patterns which you can find:

7h6WDzF.jpg

86fYLFD.jpg

Dandan":1pyrdi1p said:
Mrs Dandan bought some cheap metal brackets to encourage me to make some bookshelves for the spare room.
Metal brackets? That won't do at all...

My book shelf (back before I discovered Kindle) looked almost exactly like this (the books it contained, not the shelf itself)

I had the same Robert Jordan copies and GRRM, also had a few signed David Gemmel hardbacks.

Just out of interest, Netflix (or Amazon Prime, I don't recall which) are making a series based on the Wheel of Time series.

That's a very "tidy" looking book shelf/s, well done.

I like the shaping, and the joints, very tidy.

It depends on personal taste I know, but personally (depending on the surroundings of course) I quite like to see exposed ply end veneers - always assuming of course that it's "decent" ply and not that stuff where the centre core/s consist merely of what looks like thick white lavatory paper! In fact the "professional" office furniture (desks, etc) I have in my office has exposed end plies like that. It looks good (IMO).

I went on a Chris Tribe course in July and so this is my first proper project after getting some 'proper' tools - it's essentially a re-run of what we did on the course but smaller and I made a pair of them:

IMG_1694.JPG

It's given me the confidence that I remember what I was taught and so I'm looking to replace our cheap Ikea stools in the kitchen with handmade oak ones next.

Attachments

• IMG_1694.JPG
    IMG_1694.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 441
I'm on a bit of a turning hiatus at the moment due to a recent international house move and ongoing house renovations. My workshop is jammed in the back of the garage surrounded by building materials and will be for some time yet. :(
Here is a bowl I turned just before the move which I am particularly fond of.

Attachments

• 10a Spalted Beech Bowl with bark inclusion-min.JPG
    10a Spalted Beech Bowl with bark inclusion-min.JPG
    213.2 KB · Views: 375
  • 10b Spalted Beech Bowl with bark inclusion-min.JPG
    10b Spalted Beech Bowl with bark inclusion-min.JPG
    223.5 KB · Views: 375
  • 10c Spalted Beech Bowl with bark inclusion-min.JPG
    10c Spalted Beech Bowl with bark inclusion-min.JPG
    245.8 KB · Views: 374
  • 10d Spalted Beech Bowl with bark inclusion-min.JPG
    10d Spalted Beech Bowl with bark inclusion-min.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 375
As i've not been on for some time i'd thought i'd show a few things i've been making while at my local wood club.

With small scraps i've made many of these to play with a thin spindle gauge for practice with the tool and design.

eg4x0n.jpg

Oak and mahogany... just playing with simple effective but not the most attractive design.

9ubsko.jpg

Oak josh stick holder.

j7eulg.jpg

1zyimg6.jpg

Had a play with trying segmented work pieces but i was bad at it so laminated a few square strips together then cut and glued on top slightly rotating as i did... then turned it to a goblet/giant doorknob.

2qxt7hg.jpg

Small plate with a bump in the centre. The strip was meant to be more one sided but finished almost centre after i cut wrong side of mahogany shorte.

2youxc1.jpg

Pens... one acrylic and one african hardwood. Still learning asthey are slightly imperfect.

i4odi8.jpg

Dragged a log out the woods and turned it into this unfinished bowl/dish... didn't turned out as nice as i thought.

oaozyg.jpg

214svd.jpg

Wenge pot

24e72hg.jpg

2ugduhc.jpg

Mango dish with wire burnt rings

2ldu7uh.jpg

34ffa61.jpg

Oak pot/dish, bit of funny shape... with wire burnt rings

2db10rn.jpg

maystc.jpg

Large-ish Mahogany dish... 6.25" x 2.75"

231zyg.jpg

amzlp3.jpg

Lidded Poplar box

2uo48zc.jpg

2sb4cqd.jpg

I've cut a hole out mhe bench and made an apron drawer frame, sellers makes it look easy, it took me a lot longer, I made certain my stock was dead flat and twist free, using only a no7, I'm finding myself using a no7 more and more. I used some spare 2 bhe four pine and meranti, which definitley added a good amount of weight to the bench....

Drawer Heaven by Ben Tyreman, on Flickr

with that out the way the next stage is making the drawer.

Sweet chestnut, maple, laburnum and London plane on ply, finished with boiled linseed oil/ acrylic sanding sealer and wax, and acrylic paints.
_MG_7788.jpg

Attachments

• _MG_7788.jpg
    _MG_7788.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 257
MusicMan":3gad45bx said:
Mondrian-inspired?
Yes - I'm really interested in the contrast between the hard, rectilinear forms of de Stijl (and Constructivism) and natural forms.

Planter trough
34" long x 14" wide x 12 inches high; Redwood
Planted Tulip, Hyacinth and crocus bulbs for a Spring display
n6LreqTh.jpg

Lovely!
I think Paul Sellers says different, but a flush handle or finger hole is often recommended here.

I have three much less attractive drawers on my bench, which are set well back so the handles don't get in the way. Just a few times, I've pulled one forward to rest a long board on - a possible design consideration for you, resting either on the drawer or the handle, maybe?

Latest posts

Back