Manual impact driver

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deema

Established Member
Reaction score
I’d like to buy a manual impact driver, the type you hit with a hammer to remove the obstinate screw / bolt. Ideally I’d like to be able to use standard screw driver inserts and 1/2” sockets. There seem to be a lot around varying in price. I’m after a tool I buy once, any recommendations?

I got one from Halfords which is pretty good. The bits aren’t all that great though. Anyone know where good quality 1/2” bits can be got?

I have had two Draper ones, of the type Bob linked to, over the years. Both have been very good, but you do need good quality bits for them (I think the shank size is 3/8" hex* rather than the normal 1/4").

I used to use a normal but large hammer, on occasions a 2lb lump hammer, and it is necessary to pre-tension the coil spring, twisting it to take up the slack. It is very handy to have the 1/2" square drive shaft too.

I have one more, with a set of long shafts and a narrower handle. It's nominally cheaper and probably Japanese manufacture (it's old!), but still gets a lot of use because of the longer reach. The handle end of the shafts has a "tenon" that fits the handle. The mechanism in the handle is retained by a fine- pitch right-hand thread holding the two parts of the handle together. Years ago this came loose, and I have never succeeded in keeping it tight since, so it tends to unscrew itself at crucial moments.

They are a lot more useful than you might think, because of the control you can use, and that they don't tend to cam out of screws in good condition. That said, I find my powered impact driver with a diamond bit fitted works very well. But it is hard to be gentle and too easy to snap screwheads off.

I have, however, often made the novice mistake of using one last, rather than first, after I have already damaged the screw's head with a slipping screwdriver. If you do get one, reach for it first, if there is the slightest possibility the screw won't yield to an ordinary screwdriver!

E.

*That Draper page says 8mm, but mine is very old and probably imperial.

mbartlett99":934841vf said:
The Facom one is good but you're paying for it, Bahco are just about always good value for money and are what I generally buy for myself.
I would go for one of these or even snap on, again you paying £65 for it but there will be no failure or driver exploding in your hand. The latter being rather painful from experience using cheap impact drivers. I work in the motor trade and use these tools regularly, my impact is over 20 years old now. If you go for a cheap one buy thick gloves and face shield.

Thanks chaps, I will have a look at both the Falcon and Draper. I’ve had a few stuck fasteners recently where an impact driver seems to have made matters worse by shearing the head off and the time spent sorting out a damaged fastener makes the cost of the right tool within reason a price definitely worth paying.

I met up with Sidewinder from this forum the other night for a beer. First time we had met despite being a stones thro apart. To my surprise and delight he turned up bearing a gift......a manual impact driver. I’m really delighted with it, a very generous gift. Thank you.

Back