Airbrushes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Airbrushes. Anyone use one? Pros and cons of buying?
After an interesting demo by P. Hannaby last Saturday, I'm seriously thinking of getting one.
I already have a full sized compressor and a hose long enough to reach my lathe, so all I really need from the air side is a regulator/moisture trap at that end. This is not an unnecessary expenditure in the sense that I have other tools to run from it. I have read time after time not to buy the cheap unnamed kits as they are unreliable and I have bought enough tools in my time not to expect much from cheap gear, but that said my pocket is quite shallow and I can't afford to go and blow £100+ on something that will get little use.
Some of the starter level better makes have only one size needle - is this a serious disadvantage at this level? I do not need fine lines and detail, although I appreciate this could be a "famous last words" statement. :D

Hi phil,

I don't have any experience of using airbrushes on turned items (I don't have a wood lathe) but have used them on and off for years in both model aircraft and toys, etc.

There was a long thread on this subject a while back, in which I participated (at length!! - as is my wont) so here's the link, hope it helps:

post1135735.html?hilit=airbrushes#p1135735

OK phil, if you want the .pdf stuff referred to in (I think) my 2nd post there, which I sent to Bodgerbaz at the time, send me a PM and I'll dig them out and send you copies. Cheers

I'm not sure about Amazons return policy. You could buy one and if doesn't live up to your expectations, return it at sellers expense?

I was looking at a filter/regulator on Amazon and this comment came up - My only complaint is the air pressure regulator - it works by allowing certain amount of air through and leaking out the rest.
Is this common with regulators?

I use an Iwata Kustom brush from time. I started with the cheap Chinese copy brush and whilst there is a big difference in quality, unless you are doing fine work the cheaper ones can produce very acceptable results. If you run direct from a larger workshop compressor just get awater trap and regulator mounted on the wall near your lathe, feed to compressor and plug in the brush when required.
Cleaning the brush is important but a simple job.

Best of luck.

Latest posts

Back