SCM Minimax S45

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RE : table tilt I was told a couple of years back from a dealer that it was a H&S order that on larger bandsaws 15 degrees was max aloud. Don't know if if it is true or not

H&S gone mad! Were they really that bad back in 96?
Maybe it’s a modification for a school machine...

The bearings are now clean and fitted, they seem ok.
Had a bit of a mare with a stripped M8 so it has a nice tight M10 now ;)
Still very tempted by the Carter guide upgrade, emailed to ask about U.K. shipping

The only blade that came with it is blunt and has a kink so it makes a bit of a racket and makes very rough cuts.
A replacement from tuffsaws shipped today so this might be up and running soon!

H&S gone mad! Were they really that bad back in 96?
Maybe it’s a modification for a school machine...

H&S has never gone mad, its the idiots who don't take any notice and intemperate it they way they want to make it seem impossible to achieve wake up.

Mike

The ‘bearings’ aren’t a bearing as such, they are metal discs with a spigot that sit into a tube. You can actually just pull them apart if you take the carriers off the holder.

Are you sure you can pull them off?
I had to weld more meat onto the discs of the thrust guides and rollers, as they was cut into on my machine from being frozen, neglected and abused.
I didn't notice any movement of these coming loose on the shaft with expansion.
If this were the case I would have thought you could just buy the disc instead of buying the shaft aswell...
I hope you're right, as one of the thrust guides didn't make it and just broke off :?
That part could be made again if so :D

Looked up removal of WD 40 and it says acetone or mineral spirits (white spirit) will completely remove it
Tom

My 2001 SC45 has a full 45deg bracket with a pin driven in arount the same position as your one stops. I removed the pin to get the full movement so I expect it was a H&S measure. I am sure you could either order the newer bracket or get a machine shop to continue the slot. I cleaned my bearings which are the same as yours by disassembling them and applying some light machine oil before reasembling them. Never needed to touch them since and have been regularly using the machine for the last 6 years or so. The machine was designed for these bearings and cuts fantastically up to its full depth of cut. Blades used from 8mm to 20mm Rarely contact the side bearings but that might be down to the fact that this is a full industrial machine and substancially buit to fully tension the wider blades. Hope this helps
Nigel

My 2001 SC45 has a full 45deg bracket with a pin driven in arount the same position as your one stops. I removed the pin to get the full movement so I expect it was a H&S measure. I am sure you could either order the newer bracket or get a machine shop to continue the slot. I cleaned my bearings which are the same as yours by disassembling them and applying some light machine oil before reasembling them. Never needed to touch them since and have been regularly using the machine for the last 6 years or so. The machine was designed for these bearings and cuts fantastically up to its full depth of cut. Blades used from 8mm to 20mm Rarely contact the side bearings but that might be down to the fact that this is a full industrial machine and substancially buit to fully tension the wider blades. Hope this helps
Nigel

Wow, thanks for all the details!
Any idea who would stock the table bracket?
What do you use for a table insert? can you buy made to fit anywhere or know of where to get 3.5mm stock to cut my own?

You can contact SCM UK who own and support Minimax. They are based in Nottingham and you can get contact details on the web. You should also be able to download a manual. If not, let me know and I will e-mail a copy.
Here is a photo of my bracket with the pin hole shown in the same position as your one stops.
B088F796-2065-46C6-AF0E-DF6841997CB3.jpeg

I have not replaced the table insert as most of my work on the bandsaw is re-sawing.
Nigel

Attachments

• B088F796-2065-46C6-AF0E-DF6841997CB3.jpeg
    B088F796-2065-46C6-AF0E-DF6841997CB3.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 405
Couldn't get SCM Spares to respond, but managed to find a nice chap called Dave on ebay with a 3d printer.

I contacted him because of this ebay listing and after a brief email with my machines measurements I received these a couple of days later and they fit perfectly.

Happy chap :)

q6EVvBr.jpg

Latest posts

Back