Small Oak Side Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like that
only thing I would ask, are the aprons a lot lighter than the rest?
or is it a trick of the light \ camera

Steve

Lovely -- super workmanship; I'm sure it will be well appreciated

What are the dimensions please ?

Thanks for the comments. I waxed the table (I had wanted to oil it but ran out of time). The aprons were from a different batch of timber and lighter in tone (well spotted!). I can't give accurate dimensions as it went to it's new home today. I think the top was about 20 x 14 inches and 3/4" thick. I planed this down so the visible edge was 3/8". The legs were just under 2" square at the tops tapered on 2 sides to 1.5" square. I think the legs were 12" tall. I dimensioned the timber by machine and did the rest by hand.

Congratulations pp. A very nice piece of furniture. Just a personal preference but no criticism, I would have made the legs a little slimmer.

John

I agree John if I made another I would reduce the size and probably have a more gradual taper. I suppose the best way to get the most pleasing proportions would have been to make a model whereas I just started to build.

pitch pine":28t7n5ws said:
I agree John if I made another I would reduce the size and probably have a more gradual taper. I suppose the best way to get the most pleasing proportions would have been to make a model whereas I just started to build.

Not sure what the tops of the legs could be reduced to on a small table - probably no less than 35mm to ensure enough room for the tenons. But of course if the table is going to get rough treatment from young children then your design would be preferable.

John

pitch pine":2mgbmr1j said:

Why a model? A scale drawing should tell you everything you need to know.

MikeG.":kizza4f6 said:
pitch pine":kizza4f6 said:

Why a model? A scale drawing should tell you everything you need to know.
Yep, on a fairly straight forward job like this you could even do a full size 1:1 scale drawing which wouldn't take long - Rob

Back