Carving forum - where?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWLeaper

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I had my first go at (relief) carving a couple of weeks ago. Not particularly successful and much harder than I expected it to be, on the positive side no blood was split, at least not by me. ukworkshop doesn’t seem to support this dark art and I am blowed if I can find a forum similar to this that does. They must exist somewhere but the exam question is where? Can anybody point this budding chiseler in the right direction please? Like any newbie I am in need of advice for tools, wood, courses, plans, shops etc.

I just posted my first ever relief carving here. You could do the same whilst you look around for a carving forum, and no doubt conversation will flow.

Well, the little I learnt from what I did told me that small stuff, particularly if it was awkwardly shaped, would be difficult to carve. I need a chisel in one hand and a mallet in the other, and sometimes my elbow to help stabilise the wood. That isn't going to work for something as small as you carved. So I reckon I had a flying head start over you.

I also learnt that I have no idea how to sharpen carving chisels. I'm fine with bench chisels, but trying to get a decent edge on a curved bit of steel............uh uh. No way.

I think you might be right about the small stuff Mike, every slip became a mistake rather than a feature! My tutor used the Tormek with an SVS-38 jig to get his gouges sharp, expensive option if you don’t have a Tormek however.

The MaryMay url has lots of links that'll keep me out of mischief for a while. Thanks for that, fits the bill nicely. I’ve no idea what I am doing at the moment or what route I want this to take but my appetite has been whetted, another voyage with no known destination.

The only real tip I've found useful with carving is to make the work fit your gouges. That way you don't end up with an unmanageable amount of tools.
It also allows you to be creative. 3d carving can often use less tools( although it's often seen as a more difficult thing)
Relief carving is often quite tooly.

Back