Small wood mini lathes... anyone had one?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It also seems that any second hand options are like rocking horse poo. The search continues, unless anyone has any ideas? Where is the best place for second hand gear? Any shops in the South West which can be recommended?

Duncan A":c3nre93p said:
"If google translation (KW and Ws to HP) is right the Record is 0.2HP and the Axminster is 0.5HP."

Not sure where you got your figures from but the RP DML 250 and the Axi AC240WL are both 375W i.e. 0.5hp.

Duncan

Got my figures for the record but mistook the input and the output

SVB":yp5l0d1a said:
you mention you are new to turning..... You comment you turn on slow speed and sand fast. Sanding fast will both dull the abrasive quickly, run the risk of burning your fingers.

Simon

Been turning once a week almost since May, a few hours each time.

I have burnt my fingers on a few occasions... just thought i was applying too much pressure... and yes i do go through a fair bit of sand paper.

OK... ignore everything i said in my last post about new vs second hand... and how a guarantee wins.

Had spoke to SWMBO and kept her informed of what was said here and my thoughts about what i would like/want/need etc and she went on ebay this afternoon and seen an Axminster lathe that was only different in colour to what we seen in store.

A quick look and a little research later it seemed ok but again i was worried about having issues being second hand... then she brought to my attention that she buys many electronic items second hand and doesn't have problems so it should be fine with a second hand lathe.

Inevitably i won this... (AWSL 700241)

vqtqnm.jpg

Cost me £8 more than the cheapest Axminster non VS... and other than the 0.5HP it just appears to be the older version of the new version £329 model.

Collect it Tuesday so will let you all know how i get on.

Specs...

Above lathe...................................... £329 model

Power
375w ...................................... 550w

Speed
500-2040/100-4080 ...................................... 650-3200 (5 speed variable)

Distance between centres
440mm ...................................... 457mm

Diameter over bed
240mm ...................................... 305mm

Both are 1" 8tpi thread and MT2.

8squared":sr6amlul said:
I have burnt my fingers on a few occasions... just thought i was applying too much pressure... and yes I do go through a fair bit of sand paper.

By the time you've burnt your fingers you will have already damaged some woods (yew is notorious for this) - your finger warming tells you when to stop. :D

Well......... i am now the happy owner of a lathe and a good one too.

It belonged to a man who unfortunately has now gone into a care home, his wife used it a bit before selling it via a friend of theirs who i bought it off... obviously it has a few paint chips and the speed display doesn't work but other than that all is good with it.... no rust/dings on the bed and nothing important bent/broke/damaged.... it also had new bearings fitted.

Here is a photo of it in my workshed........ a little higher than i thought it wold be so to give it a test (although i had already seen it working on collection), i laid down some wooden planks to create a platform for standing on.

What is the ideal height to have a work piece?

2mqp7hk.jpg

And of course... as i don't have a chuck yet and it being nearly Christmas i had to turn my first snowman and a Christmas tree.... with cheap tools for now till i start picking a few up at my wood turning club.

ri905z.jpg

8squared":8yagoo95 said:
Here is a photo of it in my workshed........ a little higher than i thought it wold be so to give it a test (although i had already seen it working on collection), i laid down some wooden planks to create a platform for standing on.
What is the ideal height to have a work piece?

The commonly quoted answer is that the centres should be at elbow height. Mine is about 3" higher which saves stooping over & helps to prevent back ache.

If mounting the lathe on a bench, as opposed to a stand, allow room for your feet so that you are not forced to stand further back than is comfortable.

Back