Mill Creek Bridge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George..

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, have started pasting up and cutting the Kathy Wise pattern The Mill Creek Bridge. I haven’t seen it finished anywhere and wondered if anyone on here has made it.
George (hammer)

Hi ,this is the finished piece. I used 4 coats of Danish Oil but still have to buff it up when hardened.
George (hammer)

Attachments

• C1A6B2FA-0A53-428F-AED1-A063C4586DE4.jpeg
    C1A6B2FA-0A53-428F-AED1-A063C4586DE4.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 684
Lovely work George. Looks great.

What do you mean by buffing up.
I’ve recently used Danish oil on some of my work,just a couple of coats.thought the finish looked good.

Not done any buffing up though.
What do you use to buff it and does it make a big difference.

Andy

Hi Andy, just following the instructions on the container, says 3 or 4 coats,wiped off after half an hour. When completely dry buff up with a lint free cloth. Must admit it looks a bit dull and flat at the moment. Do you wipe the piece after applying the oil and if not does the nice shine stay there or does it get brushed off. Must be better if you can leave the oil in the shiny state.
George

Hi George
All I did was put the Danish oil on with a cloth and then I used some kitchen roll to wipe it over to get the excess oil off. Did this after about 5 mins. I left it till the next day before putting another coat on.

I wouldn’t say it was shiny though, dull looking but nice. Made the wood darker and the grain pop. I will try to give it a buff up but wouldn’t imagine it would make a vast difference.

I went with the Danish oil route because I didn’t want a shiny look that you get with varnish.

In regards to your project I don’t think it needs to look shiny. It looks good as it is. You can see it’s made of wood and looks natural.. I like that type of look.

Andy

Latest posts

Back