Upholstery foam?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatknot

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Seeking some advice on the right foam to get for upholstery

My daughters settee foam cushions have gradually lost their firmness so want to replace the foam within the cushions

Here in Cornwall UK there are not a great many places to get foam from so it will have to be mail order, but am unsure what type of foam to look for

I don't want to spend good money on something only to find its not the right thing

Is there a correct name for the right product to seek out for seat cushions?

There are plenty on ebay etc but want to be sure its the right stuff

Now thats interesting, I hadn't heard of them, although its 50 miles we do get over there now and then so I may make contact and see how much theirs is

I was quite surprised how expensive this stuff was when I started to look around, hence my not wanting to waste money on the wrong thing

Many thanks for that

Beau":2ds0shft said:
If you can face a trip over the boarder try Putnams Foam. Used them for all my upholstery work over the years and always found them forthcoming with advise https://putnams.co.uk/pages/foam-plymou ... d-cornwall

Thank you also for this one, I will try both suppliers suggested and see what difference there might be in prices

Down here things tend to be a bit more expensive that up country but you never know

Thanks for the link much appreciated

niagra":3hvi3t5i said:
I've used J A Milton several times, never had any problems and they'll give you good advice.
https://www.jamiltonupholstery.co.uk

Foam isnt just foam.
open cell foam is very soft, but collapses quite quickly.
closed cell foam is the opposite, and there are several inbetween variants including of course "memory foam". definitely seek professional advice, not just some random collection of sawdust makers.
:shock: #-o

Err yes, I understand that ;-)

I asked on here as you never know if there were any upholsterers on here unless you ask

But have two leads to follow up so thank you for yours

sunnybob":32ee4l9t said:
Foam isnt just foam.
open cell foam is very soft, but collapses quite quickly.
closed cell foam is the opposite, and there are several inbetween variants including of course "memory foam". definitely seek professional advice, not just some random collection of sawdust makers.
:shock: #-o

RogerM":347gtie6 said:
I used foam from Putnams for our kitchen corner seat build. They were very helpful. You might glean some info from the original thread.

Thanks for the further recommendation for Putnams, I was supposed to phone them today but spent most of today making sawdust instead, so tomorrow I shall try and get through to them

Thanks again

phil.p":1ix42gjn said:
Warrior in Pool keep upholstery foam.

Thanks for that, I don't get down that way very often but will keep it in mind if I don't sort it out with the others mentioned

Foam used to be fairly cheap, now it seems you need a second mortgage for it ;-)

Much appreciated

Back