Bri's One handed- adaptations, jigs etc.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manxnorton

Established Member
Reaction score
07/10/2018
Hi all,
Hope this thread is in the right place :?:
I look every day how I can adapt eveyday tasks.
So I thought I would start of with one of my bug bears, securing items on the drill press.
And as you can imaging one handed is a bit tricky :lol:
This morning, off I go!
ld04rT2.jpg

gDmrVVz.jpg

Now to secure the underside.
old double tape just managed, and getting the grip vice on it :eek:
RtnacCS.jpg

aLaDX57.jpg

And think for now it'll do....off for my daily walk (hobble about!)
If anyone has sugestions or jigs, tips etc with pictures ill really appreciate them.
Happy Sunday all.
Bri

Hi Bri,
with regard to the drill press and even on your workbench, have you considered using the power of vacuum. Would think that building a small vacuum table that fits on the press or into your bench would be of great help to you. That way you could have a set Zeroing position for the press for everything you do to work from and would allow for easy clamping on the bench too especially if you hook the pump up to foot pedal at each work-point

I am sure that between all the very knowledgeable people here from so many different engineering fields we could come up with really cool adaptations to help both you and others.

I admire greatly people who rise above adversity and crack on to get to their goals, it shows great strength of character

i wish you all the best and if I can help at any time more than willing to do so

droogs

Droogs":179w0r5b said:
Hi Bri,
with regard to the drill press and even on your workbench, have you considered using the power of vacuum. Would think that building a small vacuum table that fits on the press or into your bench would be of great help to you. That way you could have a set Zeroing position for the press for everything you do to work from and would allow for easy clamping on the bench too especially if you hook the pump up to foot pedal at each work-point

I am sure that between all the very knowledgeable people here from so many different engineering fields we could come up with really cool adaptations to help both you and others.

I admire greatly people who rise above adversity and crack on to get to their goals, it shows great strength of character

i wish you all the best and if I can help at any time more than willing to do so

droogs

Hi mate,
Thank you so much to reply.
never heard of a power vaccum thingy!
got my interest now :lol:
I'll look at it on the net later on, as im bit cream crackered :wink:
got plenty pf pics for a project I started the other day, version 3 already lol.
off I go on the ipad n put my feet (foot2! lol) up.
lata pal.
Bri

Hi all.
got bit miffed off with the planning, and my un-flat survace.
VERSION 1 PLANE BENCH VICE
HMMMMMMMMMMM! could these work (for support the wood whilst planing :?: :?:
GyfXYM5.jpg

Dog toffee TBH
aNxjG11.jpg

[/VERSION2b]
pqW8Gm7.jpg

SO FAR OK
pqW8Gm7.jpg

[/VERSION 3b]
this time using plywood to even the surface, Frankenstein patch work.. :oops:
9JquZd7.jpg

Bit rough but worked lol.
VERSION4
ZQlBdPR.jpg

JiLUKPd.jpg

Off to get a 12mm drill :lol:
z41ZKpV.jpg

All new vice measurements.
fsvA1oe.jpg

Its funny how the versions came and went lol. WIP :mrgreen:
Enough for today.
Bri

hi Bri
here's a link to give you an idea of what vacuum plates are like. don't baulk at the prices they can be made for a hell of a lot cheaper just not as nice looking :).
http://piersonworkholding.com/vacuum-ch ... gKw6_D_BwE

they are used in cnc milling of metal but by leaving a little extra on the wood part you can screw that to a metal platen with T-slots etc and have the vacuum plate work on that to hold things in place. and having a space to slot one into your bench will let you plane, route etc without things movin at all and would not foul the plane path

hth

Got one of these clamps.
Lz2kkdP.jpg

but they mark the edges when I glue up.
so followed a YouTube video and I'm chuffed for the result.
KUedEUE.jpg

HRPx6AO.jpg

gIjUpOv.jpg

final thing!
LKpeahQ.jpg

Thank you.
Bri

Back