Nothing to do with Bags for (Lidl) vacuums

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks,

Is a cyclone still effective with very fine dust? I'm sanding 120 and 240 grid.

I have a small cyclone at the end of a 1hp HVLP extractor on my table saw and that works great.

Daft question maybe but I already have the small cyclone on top of a 60L plastic drum. Would it be possible to have two cyclones mounted to the same drum with two extractors or would that throw things out.

Just thinking of space in the shed I don't have.

Thanks in advance.

Mine seems to handle just about everything I throw at it. A couple of times a year I take the filter off the shop vac and blow it off outside, considering how much waste goes through the system, the small amount of fine dust on the filter is quite surprising. Even when sanding filler/plaster walls very little dust seems to make it past the cyclone.

If using a RAS or similar I have found the key to getting good extraction and separation (as well as stopping the problem of the sander being sucked down hard onto the surface and it being hard to move) is to use a fitting that allows you to adjust the suction, this allows some air into the system so the shop vac is not overworked and allows the air to reach high enough speeds for the cyclone to be effective.
Since I started doing this it solved my problem of the sander sticking to the wall and improved the separation of filler dust.

As to your question of 2 cyclones on one drum, I would think you would need to block off the unused cyclone as otherwise it will spoil the vacuum in the system that makes them work.

Raymond UK":3myxlsps said:
Daft question maybe but I already have the small cyclone on top of a 60L plastic drum. Would it be possible to have two cyclones mounted to the same drum with two extractors or would that throw things out.
I have a Thien baffle as my main pre-collector before the shop vac.
I also have a small cyclone mounted on a container for collecting ash from the wood burner. Rather than disconnecting the hose from the Thien baffle, I connect the cyclone & have a two filter system, three if you count the shop vac.

Cheers chaps,

Thanks for confirming that 2 cyclones on 1 barrel is a no.

Swapping pipes is a bit awkward as my existing cyclone is one of those cheap ones of eBay. About a tenner IIRC. The in and outlet are 54mm so I had to make them smaller with a sanding drum and it is rather hard to get on once pulled off.

Now I'm wondering if the barrels come in a square variant so I could situate them next to each other with 2 cyclones?

Very limited space in my shed. The extractor and cyclone are both in the corner and are dedicated to the table saw. The shop vac sits in front of it and is used for orbital sanders, palm sander and drum sander. Then there's another shop vac used for my circular saw, jigsaw and belt sander. The big HVLP I had to move outside in it's own little room.

I need an extension on my shed.... #-o

I have known mechanical knowledge about if this is correct but the cheap cyclone I just purchased off eBay comes with a diagram showing how you can connect several together in a larger system all emptying into one bucket.

Also Dyson vacuum cleaners seem to manage ok. They look like they use multiple cyclones but maybe that's just marketing.

Ewan
0ac1e49e040ab019c1dc6e583498bcbe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

That setup is different to the question though, they are all on the same feed as opposed to being on a separate systems.

Just noticed that. Looks like an impressive setup. I wonder how much more suction it gives.

On the hunt for some small square or rectangular collection boxes.

Thanks again. :D

Raymond UK":2ea3iepb said:
Just noticed that. Looks like an impressive setup. I wonder how much more suction it gives.

On the hunt for some small square or rectangular collection boxes.

Thanks again. :D
Could you make a couple out of plywood to exactly fit the space you have?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

That's not a bad idea at all!

I'm back in the shed tomorrow and have a look/think about that.

Thanks again.

(Sorry for the thread hijack)

Returning to the question of bags for Lidl vacuums, I thought I would share an alternative that I use.
I found the bags a nuisance, but my larger Record Power DX4000 type extractor uses small fine dust filter bags to place over the main filters.
https://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/5-pack-filter-bags-for-high-filtration-dust-extractors

These will also fit well on the main filter of the Lidl vacuum, and I hold it in place with a couple of plastic cable ties.
This provides for fine dust filtration, but most dust and debris settles in the main bin rather than being collected inside a paper bag.
I find this easier for emptying.

I take the top section outside to blow dust off the paper filter when necessary.

In case anyone else hates emptying/replacing the paper bags. :)

I must admit I rather like being able to just throw the bag out - I use mine for anything and everything - last week I used it when I swept the stove flue - and it's just so much cleaner. Not a speck of soot outside the bag.
I had an old BVC vacuum that I bought for peanuts in an auction, taking a chance the a break in the lead was the reason it was sold as not working, and that one had no bag - I had that for twenty five years before my loved one burned it it one day hoovering plaster dust long after it should have been emptied. :D
If I know the contents of the bag are relatively clean I unpick the bottom corner of the bag, empty it and hot melt glue it back again. I used to clip the end over, but I found by the third or fourth use the bags ripped anyway.

I did what hobbyshop describes above on my basic screwfix vacuum. I cable tied a henry hepa filter (inside out, so that the dust is captured on the correct side of the bag) over the basic sponge filter, and then a standard henry paper filter over that.

The idea is I can replace the paper bag frequently and the hepa bag infrequently. So far so good, catches a lot of fine dust from building work.

968727f1d456cf1732ea9b93d8ca3a4e.jpg
3b4e87c53336a91e19b4d10c49cc5bad.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Back