Meranti for furniture/cabinet making?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful piece of timber.

I would make a console table - a thin one, albeit.

With some clever measuring and resawing i think you could get a top, thin tapered legs, and possibly a drawer front.

Maybe some simple inlay work using a contrasting wood would also be nice.

Seems a waste to break such a nice long board down for a box... Just my opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hmmm, I'm imagining a symmetrical console table top, book matched from where you have divided the 2" board into two 1" boards.

Could that work?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

At a full 2” and a bit thick it certainly lends itself to resawing. I’m undecided on what to do with it if I’m honest but I have been toying with the idea of making a night stand with a simple drawer. I keep picturing the shimmer running down a set of gracefully tapered legs but I’m not in a hurry to use it up just yet. I actually picked up a couple of boards of cherry for the first time yesterday and am really looking forward to working with that as well. Cherry is a gorgeous looking wood that many on here say is great to work with so I’m hopeful that works out.

Glad youre finally getting into hardwoods. :lol:
But I cant get excited over cherry. It starts off brown, and it just gets browner.

That meranti is giving me a case of the green eyed though.

How about the 5, the 4 1/2, and a charles nurse block plane from the 1920's? 8)

what about a simple stool/bench, in a sort of japanese/minimal style with non intrusive joinery so that the wood grain itself is the main feature, just thinking out loud.

Back