Leveling resin coated timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexam

Bandsaw Boxmaker
Reaction score
I have some featured timber that has been resin coated, but I need to level this off now, as it has not turned out as good as I had hoped.

Can I use my planer thicknesser without damaging the blades or is it best not to?

I wouldn't, unless I was just about to change the knives.
Have you got a hand held electric planer with chuck away blades? That's what I'd use.

Thanks. I wont risk it then. Obviously does some damage or makes the blades glued up. Is there another way to level the timber after resin has been applied?

It might depend on the resin and more experienced woodworkers than me might have more to say but...

I've used West Systems Epoxy resin quite a bit in turned stuff on my lathe and planed on a planer thicknesser.

It is doable but it will blunt your tools fast, if it were me I would make very fine passes I would probably do it towards the end of my blade life and change them after.

If you hand plane it you'll find you'll need to sharpen often - I have a rough Stanley No4 I'd use to get it there or thereabouts rather than use my good plane

If it's a big piece I'd finish with a belt sander running progressively down through the grits.

Make sure you wear a dust mask.

Hi Alex, I'd save my edges and just use a belt sander starting at 80grit and work up from there. Are you looking to just tidy up (get rid of a few ripples) and refinish or want to go back to the wood and start again? If the former then 120/150grit is the place to start. Make sure you give it a good wipe with a damp cloth every 10secs or so, just helps see the surface you've reached.

hth

Back