Glazed doors mostly by hand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
My in-laws' summer house needs some new doors. The old ones were made square with nailed-on beading and had started to rot. I thought I'd have a go at some replacements, using mostly trad techniques. They are only redwood but will have several coats of exterior oil on them.

To fit into the existing opening and use the same glass, the dimensions must be just the same, which means that standard sizes are no good. Here's the wood:

IMG_3454.jpg

which I resawed on my table saw and then planed to size:

IMG_3457.jpg

Next step is to mark out the stiles, clamped together in pairs:
IMG_3459.jpg

These marks are squared round, the mortices gauged and knifed in.

I chopped the mortices by hand - here with a relatively light sash mortice chisel, but I did also try a big heavy oval bolstered mortice chisel which was better on the longer mortices.

IMG_3463.jpg

Tenon cheeks get sawn in next:

IMG_3464.jpg

Next step is to cut the moulding and rebate. I don't have a moulding plane the right size for this, so made an ovolo with the router.

IMG_3465.jpg

For the rebate, I did use the older, quieter way:

IMG_3467.jpg

which was pleasanter but much slower. I speeded up a bit by using a wooden rebate plane set fairly coarse, but the quickest way was to plough a narrow groove from both sides to remove a long square strip.

The bottom of the moulding has to be the same depth as the rebate, so that when you pare away for the joints, it all goes square:

IMG_3469.jpg

Nearly done here. It felt a bit odd just paring this with a chisel, but as long as you don't go too far your reference line remains the line that's already cut.

There are so many stages to all this, I have not shown them all. Here the tenons have been trimmed back and I'm trying one for size. I've sawn and chopped out for the haunch.

IMG_3470.jpg

To scribe the moulding on the rail, you first cut a mitre, trimming it against a guide

IMG_3475.jpg

then cut vertically down along the line:

IMG_3476.jpg

With all the joints cut, I widened the mortices for wedging and sawed kerfs down the tenons. Time for gluing up, which can just fit in my rather untidy workspace.

IMG_3478.jpg

It's only when you take pictures you realise what your workshop looks like. Mine is in the basement, which has a bay at the end, and a two foot deep step in the floor. My rather rough bench was built from scrap twenty years ago and is fitted onto the step. That makes it rock solid but it's far from perfect. The offcut rack is an old sofa frame that never will get re-upholstered!

And here's one of the finished doors, ready to go off and be fitted one fine weekend:

IMG_3491.jpg

All in all a very enjoyable job, putting into practice some techniques I had used before and a few that I hadn't.

Nicely done, Andy. It doesn't look like power tools could've saved you much time making it, either! Speedy progress. :wink:

Where did you get the wood from, just out of interest?

OPJ":1ko2fjil said:
Nicely done, Andy. It doesn't look like power tools could've saved you much time making it, either! Speedy progress. :wink:

Where did you get the wood from, just out of interest?

Bristol Timber on Gloucester Road, near the Memorial ground. Very friendly and helpful.

- all in all it probably took about four days - but I do like to stop and stare at things for a while!

Excellent work-in-progress post! And a great end result! Nice work and some real craftmanship displayed there, well done :wink:

I'm going to necro this as it hasn't had nearly enough attention :)

(PS Andy if you read this, I might have a solution for your sofa - I know a lass that took it up as a hobby a couple of years ago and might be interested, I've not told her, but could be an option?)

Thanks!
I'll take some pictures to show how ten years of weather have worked on them since, when we next visit.

But don't worry about rehoming the sofa - I've got rather accustomed to it over the decades!

Oh and just for the record, Bristol Timber closed down and is now housing. Presumably another example where the building plot is worth more than the business. :(

Hadn't seen this before Andy, found it very enjoyable and the info with regard to using/showing the coping cut very informative

I saw this thread and thought "Oh great, AndyT's doing a new WIP". Not quite so new. But I think we should make it a tradition to bump one of his old WIP's every now and again - my memory being what it is, I can then enjoy them all over again.

Sheffield Tony":3tz48s5x said:
I saw this thread and thought "Oh great, AndyT's doing a new WIP". Not quite so new. But I think we should make it a tradition to bump one of his old WIP's every now and again - my memory being what it is, I can then enjoy them all over again.

I thought that it was just me. :lol:

John Brown":hfxjwh4t said:
When you cope that rail, are you using a normal flat chisel, or are you using a curved gouge?

It's an in-cannel gouge. The photo doesn't really show the curve very well.

AndyT":2z1r5fex said:
Thanks!
I'll take some pictures to show how ten years of weather have worked on them since, when we next visit.

But don't worry about rehoming the sofa - I've got rather accustomed to it over the decades!

Oh and just for the record, Bristol Timber closed down and is now housing. Presumably another example where the building plot is worth more than the business. :(

Ahh - I didn't mean to SELL the sofa, I just meant for her to upholster it, she's actually getting pretty good, traditional techniques etc.

Gives you a reason to make a proper storage rack in that spot then :)

Yeah it's a real shame about Bristol Timber, I'd wondered if the business itself was having issues but the plot hasn't been developed that much, and I'd be amazed if the profit after it was all done was more than £2million GBP, that puts the value of the business, as was, at peanuts which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Don't worry Steve, I've since acquired the equivalent moulding plane, just in case I need to make any more! :)

Back