Axminster 129pt

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwr

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi i have been looking at planer thicknesser and thought I had made my mind up to go with the startrite sd31 but, as noise will be a concern to a certain extent I was looking at the Axminster with spiral cutter block.

The replacement cutters are quite pricey at £76 odd for 10 the size is 15x15x 2.5 with a 102cm radius from Axminster.I have seen cutters elsewhere that are 15x15x2.5 with 100cm radius does anyone with this machine know if they would work on the axy block as they are around half the price?

I've never used, only been jealous of, the Byrd-type spiral blocks, but looking at the numbers, I would be astonished if you could notice the difference between 100 and 102cm radius for the cutting edge.

The Axminster with spiral cutter block looks fabulous
Have you seen The Parfitt video about the same ?

There is a fair difference in circumference between the 2 radii Steve. Would the difference result in negating the benefits of having spiral cutters with regard to noise? Would the op have to replace the block as well? This thread has got me thinking all sorts of Qs but not many answers

gwr":32pakc47 said:
The replacement cutters are quite pricey at £76 odd for 10 the size is 15x15x 2.5 with a 102cm radius from Axminster.I have seen cutters elsewhere that are 15x15x2.5 with 100cm radius does anyone with this machine know if they would work on the axy block as they are around half the price?
There are four cutting surfaces as you know on each of those cutters, and each edge according to Ax will last about twenty times as long as a standard HSS knife. If my sums is correct (always doubtful), it seems highly unlikely that you'd ever actually need to replace any of the cutters unless all four cutting faces became significantly damaged. See Keith Thompson in the video below if you haven't already seen it - Rob
https://knowledge.axminster.co.uk/axmin ... gISTfD_BwE

Droogs":1ned4ce9 said:
There is a fair difference in circumference between the 2 radii Steve. Would the difference result in negating the benefits of having spiral cutters with regard to noise?

Maybe. Maybe I am misunderstanding all this. I certainly have no experience of actually using them.

But I do understand something of cutter geometry, and how these things work, and I will be surprised, as well as humiliated, if that difference in cutter tip radius makes any real difference. Why is the circumference relevant?

But I am always eager to learn, so if you can educate me, then please do. Really, I'm not being sarky here.

Isn't the difference akin to arguing the toss between sanding with P100 vs. P120? Small, but are you really going to notice by the time you have finished?

Maybe I am just demonstrating my ignorance to the world (in which case a plea to the mods will be along accordingly...)

I was asking as I might be misreading things. When radii were mentioned as 102 and 100 centimeters it made me think of the blocks circumference and if the difference in the angle of the cutter as it made the cut was an important factor in the amount of noise made.

100 centimetres is a metre. A foot in diameter. Is it really that big? Wow!
The radius is usually given as the radius of the cutting tip itself, not what it is attached to.

Guys the cutters on this machine are machined to a radius of 102 mm not cm and the block is 70mm in diameter, that's a 35mm radius, and a circumference of 21.99115mm, you where causing this poor old pensioner a lot of confusion, and I was brought up using the imperial measurement system.

Even more troubling is using the metric and imperial system in the same paragraph. =D>

Centimetres where the bane of any calculations, best to stick to mm, avoids confusion.

Mike

cheers mike, it was late and i was getting confused. Still has made me wonder if the overall circumference of a PT block makes much of a difference to the noise it makes

I doubt at the dimensions we are talking about, although the noisiest single engine prop aircraft in the world, the Harvard, has a prop that is such a large diameter that the tips break the sound barrier at anything near full power, so American to build an aircraft with such a big engine the prop has to be that diameter to absorb the power, another interesting fact for you quiz guys, the Chance Vought Corsair had gull wings to give the prop the clearance needed otherwise the undercarriage would not have fitted into the wing and the aircraft would not have fitted into an aircraft carrier.

Droogs it wasn't just you, the OP started it with 102cm radius and every one else just carried on with cm instead of mm, but worse of all is not knowing the conversion factor, 25.4 = 1" but easier to remember is 100mm = 4", 300mm = 1'.0", 3.0M = 10'.0" all near enough.

Mike

ah V4F king of the pacific sky. They are unbelievably noisy

I've just got one. My previous P\T seemed to have got noisier as the years went on so I bought this from Axi. They had a 10% off sale recently plus this machine was reduced quite a bit. First impressions are it is just amazing. So quiet and so accurate / smooth. I got it 40 metres down my garden using a pallet truck plus 2 x old sheets of 9mm MDF.
Regards
Mark

Whoops sorry for the confusion on radius of the cutters it is indeed 102mm.
After watching the Peter parffit video as mentioned here (Thanks) I am swaying towards this machine more than I was partly due to the longevity of the cutters.
They state they imagin they may last as long as 80 sharpens of hss straight knives. As this will be used for hobby this may never need a full replacement of cutters. I would still like to know if the 100mm cutters from another well known machinery outlet would be suitable on this block.
Thankyou all for your response

If you are going to buy the 129PT it will come with the cutters already on the block and if as you say they will last much longer, why bother with the non manufactures cutters? In hobby use they are probably going to last a few years.

Mike

Yes now that i realise the longevity of the tungsten cutters i dont envisage ever having to buy 6 sets of ten cutters all at once or ever for that matter.
my question of replacements is not so important to me but i am still curious to know if the 100mm radius cutters would be suitable for that machine.

If they fit I don't see why not, the problem is you are getting into the realms of plane iron sharpening and if a bevel or radius is needed or not, please lets not go there. (hammer) (hammer)

Mike

I've got one of these. Mine was an 11 month return so the first thing I did was take out the cutters. I honed them on a fine diamond stone and turned them one increment. I can tell you they aren't very precisely made. I can also say I've planed loads and there still fine.
Also this approach hones all 4 sides. So you may never need to replace any. Also these knives don't really chip like hss on pine knots.

Lol I have NO intention of getting into any sharpening debate whatsoever Mike, I've seen enough on here to last me a lifetime :D .

Now Johnny what angle did you hone the cutters to ? Only jesting.
What I have gained from this is the cutters will last a long time unless they get chipped so as soon as I see any discounts from axi I will press the button on this.
Oh on the subject of discounts can anyone tell me the average discounts they give at shows as harrogate is coming up soon.

Thanks

I wouldn't bother. Axminster are promoting it like tersa eg easy to change like razor marketing. I'm suggesting it's actually a diy unlimited system. Unless your putting through loads of reclaimed material. If you chip one cutter swap to the next one. All the honing does is slightly reduce the spinning diameter. You can compensate on the outfeed. The cutters faces aren't precision made and I would expect a better quality insert if I replaced all 76. Maybe American or German made.(probably a quarter of axminster cost )

Latest posts

Back