Table Saw Recommendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicole Grace

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm a newbie woodworker, with my first project being a birch plywood murphy wall-bed, built using only a circular saw and router power tools.

I'm beginning to really enjoy as a hobby and think its about time I get a table saw.What table saw would you recommend for the entry-level hobbyist? I would like to build coffee tables, bookcases, bed frames and probably do some home reno's too.

Thanks in advance!

Hello, if you could answer some questions like those below, you'd stand a better chance of getting what you really want.

What sockets have you got on the wall?
Would you be willing to upgrade if you have only 13amp to 16amp?
Is noise a factor, as induction motors are much quieter?
Is it only yourself in the workshop?
How big of a footprint is the max, if you could roll it out of the way?

How much would you be willing to spend?
Would you be put off buying a secondhand machine and having to do a wee job or two on it if necessary...like making a riving knife for example?

Unless you are cutting a lot of sheet goods a sliding mitre saw may be a better purchase?

This base was constructed entirely with a sliding mitre saw.

Base finished.jpg

Mike

Attachments

• Base finished.jpg
    Base finished.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 377
I’d recommend watching some YouTube videos of people using table saws , bandsaws and track saws, then you’ll see how each can be used and what for, may help inform you on whether it’s a tablesaw you need

Also look at the festool MFT (multi function table)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I see your located in the USA which has a different perspective to saws than we do in Europe and the UK.

Riving knifes or Splitters (I think that’s what they are called in the USA) are now starting to be seen more on saws in the USA than in the past. They are mandatory in the UK and add a great deal of safety. They stop the wood closing up after its cut, catching on the rear teeth of the blade and hurling it out at you (kick back). So I would recommend a saw with one fitted, or get one fitted.

Again, seldom seen in the USA, but mandatory in the UK are crown guards. These are shields that sit over the spinning blade and help to stop fingers finding their way into the blade. Again, find a saw with one fitted or get one fitted if not.

The Saw Stop mechanism is IMO a great innovation, anything that can prevent the user having difficulty doing up your buttons has to be applauded.

Sliding tables are extremely common in Europe and again seldom seen in the US, the preference being for a sled. Having used both, a sliding table is by far a better solution, more versatile and IMO safer.

Lastly make or buy some European style push sticks and not the USA. variants that encourage the user to pass their hands past the blade. As a rule, you should never make a cut in such a manner that your hand gets anywhere near the blade, and never passes by the blade.

Back