New Workshop Set-up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD2284

Reaction score
Hi!
1st post here, so hopefully it's in the right section.
I'm looking for some opinions before i splash out any cash!

I was sadly forced to sell the majority of my machinery a couple of years ago, however i'm now in a fortunate enough position to set things up again. I'm a (was a) hobbyist woodworker, mainly making Toy boxes, picture frames, and small furniture and I'll be working out of a garage again. My set-up previously included just about every piece of machinery you could think of, but now i'm starting from scratch and working to a budget (about £2,000).

I want everything back :( but sadly that's not an option, so maybe i could get some opinions on what you think is priority here, as getting it all again on 2k is not an option (even used). I've got my own thoughts, but i'm impatient and reckless with cash, so any help would be great!!

I've got the bare bones already (clamps, hand planes, saws etc etc etc).

My gut tells me to go for Table saw + extractor and build jigs around my needs and make do with those and then save for a planer/thicknesser, then router table then......
Any thoughts would be welcome.

also just a caveat; i'm looking to buy a new table saw, my last one was a used cast iron 3hp monster that gave me nightmares, so this time i'll probably go for something like "Axminster Trade Series AW10BSB2" or Record Power. So the real question is what do i spend the remaining £1k on?

Thanks in advance....

Think back those couple of years and remember what you used the most for your style of working, before anything else buy a decent HVLP Extractor, one that will overwhelm your requirements no just meets them.

Mike

Thanks, i'll have to admit (and i'm sorry to say), i never used an extractor back in the day so this time it's on the list. I was thinking of going for something like a DX1000 (record power) - do you think this would be up to spec?

If you later expect to get a Planer Thicknesser and Router Table then the short answer is no, the DX1000 is basically a vacuum cleaner fitted with a 100mm inlet which is a LVHP (Low Volume High Power) machine and will not move chips from a PT sufficiently, it would be fine on say a sanding machine and cleaning up the shop floor. What you need for a PT is a HVLP (High Volume Low Power) chip extractor something like these: https://www.axminster.co.uk/machinery/d ... extractors if you compare the extraction figures you will see that even the smallest of the HVLP's @ 850m3/hr is way more than the DX1000 @ 200m3/hr the main difference between the two is the fine filter on the DX as opposed to the bag filter on the HVLP, but these can be fitted with a pleated paper filter to massively improve this, I have the Axminster FM300BC :https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hobby-series-fm300bc-extractor-501264 fitted with a pleated paper filter, practically no dust escapes into the atmosphere of the workshop, as I said earlier its better to overwhelm your requirement on extraction rather than only just meet them.

Mike

Great, thanks for this - really helpful stuff. As i said this would be my first extractor so the advice is much appreciated. Just had a look at the FM300BC and to be fair the price isn't too bad. I think this will be high on the shopping list now. Thanks again.

Back