Replacing collection bag on a HVLP dust extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond UK

Established Member
Reaction score
This might be a silly question but is there an easy way of fitting a replacement bag to these on your own?

It's a Fox F50-842 but I think they are all very similar. Mine came with two cloth bags, one on top for the filtration and one underneath for collection. All works very well indeed and I'm happy with it.

I bought some elastic band that I have treaded through the cloth collection bag so it can be 'hooked' on and stay in place whilst I put the clamp strap on.

To make life easier in my mind I have ordered plastic collection bags so I don't have to empty the cloth bag every time but by the time you've got it around the drum I have no spare hands to get the strap round, never mind fastening the thing. Access is from one side only as it lives in a small lean too plumbed through the wall.

Is it just me that's incapable of strapping a plastic bag to an extractor or are these made to make you struggle? :?

If there's any tips on this I'm all ears. :D

One of these:

Thanks for that. :lol:

There's me having a planer thicknesser on my list to buy. That'll just make matters worse with more frequent bag changes. :evil:

Hi Raymond.
For me I use rare earth magnets (any decent magnets will do, HD ones do well) when replacing a polythene bag. Makes it a lot easier as my DC is mounted high up on a wall.
Although tape and elastic, as mentioned, would work too.

I used to work in a workshop with a 6 Bag P&J extractor, It was common that I (being the apprentice) had to do a full bag change over about 1-3 times a day. I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of bags I changed was up in the thousands.

There is a knack to it, I found on the looser bags (different batches of bags were always different, some were loose and some were tight) you could fold the top over and that would create a little crease to just hold the bag in place a little tighter as you put the ring on. Alternatively, you could fold the bag over the ring and clamp it on, that works also.

Eventually, you just get good at it and just can whap the bags on with no fuss.

Cheers for all the replies guys. Much appreciated indeed.

I quite like the magnet idea and I do have a stack of small magnets.

I'll definitely try the folding the bag thing.

Was thinking stapling the top of the bag around the clasp but recon the staples might rip the bag at some point.

I did rope the misses into giving me a hand when she finished work so the plastic bag is on! With the obligatory comments of needing a women to do the job.... :p

The kids however, were very amazed seeing the dust swirl round into the clear bag.. Easily pleased eh... :lol:

Trevanion":1kkbpxgx said:
I used to work in a workshop with a 6 Bag P&J extractor, It was common that I (being the apprentice) had to do a full bag change over about 1-3 times a day. I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of bags I changed was up in the thousands.

There is a knack to it, I found on the looser bags (different batches of bags were always different, some were loose and some were tight) you could fold the top over and that would create a little crease to just hold the bag in place a little tighter as you put the ring on. Alternatively, you could fold the bag over the ring and clamp it on, that works also.

Ha, that takes me back to being "the boy" in the 'shop I started in. Changing bags was always my job. Found the fold over of the lip best. The real challenge was lifting/chucking the bag into the skip outside without getting a dust & shaving shower!

Sent from my HTC One A9s using Tapatalk

Mr_Mickey_D":3duxqf4d said:
Trevanion":3duxqf4d said:

Ha, that takes me back to being "the boy" in the 'shop I started in. Changing bags was always my job. Found the fold over of the lip best. The real challenge was lifting/chucking the bag into the skip outside without getting a dust & shaving shower!

Sent from my HTC One A9s using Tapatalk

I don't miss that part of the job one bit!

I find the easiest way is to fold the top inch of the bag back on itself to make a 'turn down' (like a turn up would be on an upside down trouser leg). Then I slide the clamping band into the turn down which allows me to manoeuvre the bag + clamping band on to flange with two hands after which I can tighten the clamp.

Misterfish

My extractor has these little hooks on it just above where the spring band goes to clamp bags in place. I simply hang the bag on the hooks then slide the band in to place and done. The last time this topic came up I was surprised to learn that every extractor didn’t have something similar tbh.

Mine's even worse. An old APTC one with straps sewn into the bag edge. You do develop a 'knack' of getting it on. The real fun comes when you've accidentally left a sliver off edge and the whole thing blows off just as you start thicknessing an eight foot plank....

Definitely no hooks on mine. There is a lip but that's just for the strap so it won't come off.

I'll try the folding and the magnet method next time it needs replacing.

It doesn't fill up that quick as it's only connected to the router table. There's only a quarter of a bag full since I bought it a few months ago.

I did say the bag isn't filling very quick but it's getting rather busy building toy boxes for the coming Christmas period and the bag is nearly full already.

How do you guys tie it up? In my local wood shop the have some metal string and a twisty tool to tie it tight.

Just asking as I don't want saw dust all over my car when taking the bags to the tip.. :roll:

Inspector":1uvkm2p3 said:
Plastic zip ties, cable ties, zap straps. Whatever your favourite term for them is.

Pete

Not even thought of those. I'll get some fairly strong ones in to do the job. Cheers Pete.

You can only fit so many 160 liter bags in the wheely bin without the other half complaining that her garden cuttings don't fit as it's full of sawdust....

I ditched the metal strap and just use bungy cord to hold the plastic bag in place. Wrap around twice and knot. To change bags just slide the elastic up. No need to undo knot. Replace bag and wriggle elastic back in place. The metal strap always blew dust near the hasp. The elastic gives a better seal.
Regards
John

Back