New surface planer from Axminster

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not that I would ever have the pleasure of being able to own a machine like this, but I thought it was interesting that it was only 6 inches? I thought that would be more the hobby range, not the trade range?

Oh and notice the style of push stick :p

104349_xl.jpg

https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-t ... ner-104349

Don't think it's that new, - I've got virtually the same model sat in my garage! Have they just 'revamped' it?

I'll leave comments on the wrong style of push stick for a surface planer to others :D

stuartpaul":1c5f0d4u said:
Don't think it's that new, - I've got virtually the same model sat in my garage! Have they just 'revamped' it?

I'll leave comments on the wrong style of push stick for a surface planer to others :D

Oh right. I was just going by the marketing on it.

Do I understand that correctly: both infeed and outfeed tables are height adjustable by handwheels? Or do the wheels do something else?

If they are adjustable I'd be terrified that I might accidentally knock the outfeed one and butter up the entire alignment.

Or are they always like that? On my little over-under 439 the outfeed table is fixed (OK: adjustable by spannering it). Works well enough for me...

Eric The Viking":2iqdivks said:
Do I understand that correctly: both infeed and outfeed tables are height adjustable by handwheels? Or do the wheels do something else?

If they are adjustable I'd be terrified that I might accidentally knock the outfeed one and butter up the entire alignment.

Or are they always like that? On my little over-under 439 the outfeed table is fixed (OK: adjustable by spannering it). Works well enough for me...

Dont know this machine but I find it very useful having an adjustable out feed table. When edging prior to joining up boards with nice new knives the out feed want's to be almost perfectly at the same hight as the knives at their highest point. This way you can glue straight from the surfacer. When the knives are a bit worn and chipped you will want the table a fraction lower or it will stop cutting mid pass.

I wish my outfeed was as easily adjustable, it's an easy way of eliminating snipe from surface planing. Just get your knives the same and then set the outfeed.

There is another advantage. If you are making a sled foot for, say, a bench, you can drop the OF table as far as it will go, and the IF too, then Drop On and make a stopped cut. You end up with two feet pads on the underside of the sled foot.
I agree that 6" is a bit limiting of width, though.

I had the Axminster white version of this. great little machine. From memory, the outfield table was adjustable, then tightened to lock it. it wasn't knock able, in any case.

transatlantic":q4rj0wtv said:
Not that I would ever have the pleasure of being able to own a machine like this, but I thought it was interesting that it was only 6 inches? I thought that would be more the hobby range, not the trade range?

Oh and notice the style of push stick :p

https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-t ... ner-104349

You could sit on each table, no chance of them moving.

Bear in mind it's an edge jointer, not a surface planer, so 6" is generally enough.

……. It has been upgraded for 2018 to feature extra long tables and a new fence system.

I've often wondered why the single function planers have quite narrow widths.

I'm quite happy with my portable lunchbox type thicknesses but in order to get a wide enough planed surface the options, at least looking at new easily available machibes means you have to buy combo machine.

I have a Rexon bench type planer and the blade cover and arm are EXACTLY the same.
Makes you wonder if different manufacturers source certain bit from the same supplier, probably from the far east.

Tetsuaiga":1n4clb2g said:

I'm quite happy with my portable lunchbox type thicknesses but in order to get a wide enough planed surface the options, at least looking at new easily available machibes means you have to buy combo machine.

I had this exact issue. I ended up with a combo that I only use in planing mode and keeping the lunchbox for thicknessing.

What was behind that choice, if you don’t mind me asking, Marcos? Wouldn’t it make more sense to just get a good quality combo machine and use that rather than consuming double the space and probably as much money?

There were a few thoughts behind the choice. I had the lunchbox thicknesser and the 6" axi planer when I got a good deal on a used Inca planer thicknesser, with tersa blades. Brilliant machine. It only does 9" though, and there is a slight chance of needing something a bit wider. So I kept the lunchbox thicknesser for that and sold the planer to create floor space. In actual fact, I never got around to selling it, and it fits under my bench, so no big user of floor space.

The other advantage is that if I remove the worst of the high spots by hand, I can get away without the planer and send it straight through the thicknesser. The lunchbox thicknesser can be lugged outside where I have plenty of space and no need to worry about dust extraction.

Finally, one day I may replace the head with a helical one. I think that Byrd do one that will fit. possibly a pipe dream, but if I sell the machine, I won't get much money back.

The Inca would do most of what I need, almost all. The thicknesser does such a good job that for what it owes me I am happy to keep both.

wallace":16ynilwq said:
looks good for rebates

CE regs likely wouldn't allow that as the guard would have to be taken off - stopped chamfers are OK though.

Haven't seen this in the flesh, but I'll bet it's like the old Jet surfacers where the cuter block either doesn't sit flush or protrude from the outfeed table side edge. So if you try and rebate, you hit the outfeed table with the workpiece.

The casting on the infeed has the support for rebate as it's not cost effective for the factory to change it from the USA spec.

I stand to be corrected on this specific machine, but it was always one of the key things people used to ask about on the Jet surfacers and the answer was always a 'no'.

Cheers
Nick

These type of machines are mostly favoured by muricans. Hence I guess there really easy to source from the far East. There not popular in Europe though.

Tetsuaiga":2b43ggha said:

That's always puzzled me as well? I would have thought that a planer with a 250mm wide bed and really long tables would be a sure fired winner - Rob

That's a machine specifically for the American market. These are the traditional solution for straightening lumber. 6inch for home diy 8inch for pros. In many ways they work better than the short bed combos as they can actually straighten.

Back