Refitting Wadkin cast iron spindle moulder table.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I just bought an old Wadkin BER spindle moulder. We were having trouble moving it and someone suggested removing the top to make it lighter, it all needed a good clean anyway so I thought why not. When we lifted the top off some very thin plastic (paper thin) shims fell off which were obviously between the main body of the machine and the top.

It looks like there were different numbers and thicknesses of shims in different corners but because they came off I can't tell which went where #-o

What is the best way to re shim it, do I just put the top back on and shim as needed, will be very fiddly as heavy and limited access to where the shims need to go.

Are the shims there to allow for any discrepancy between the top and the body of the machine, to set table square to spindle, to take twist out of top when bolted down, none or all of these?

Any advice appreciated.

Doug

The shims are there to make the table flat and at 90 to the spindle, without knowing which corner they came from you will just have to do it by trial and error, tightening the top each time

wallace":32nnshpj said:
The shims are there to make the table flat and at 90 to the spindle, without knowing which corner they came from you will just have to do it by trial and error, tightening the top each time

Thank you Wallace, I will know better next time!

Doug

You might be able to reduce your trial and error time with some maths.

If the table was bolted down with no shims, just on 3 corners, you could take some measurements, and use, umm, geometry(?) to work out where to shim.

Maths, or, of course, just your favourite cad app... : )

Back