Moving Large Machines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TFrench":2hsqte4h said:
I move a lot of big machines - its easy as I have all the kit through work. For a one off move I'd be looking at paying someone to do it, by the time you've hired a van and trailer you might as well get someone who's set up to do it, and insured!
This was basically my thinking. Could do with some suggestion of where to look and who to ask for this kind of job. I am in no rush, it won’t likely happen for at least a year, I am just trying to plan ahead a bit.

I used rollers, ply and crow bars to get the thing in. However I had the seller of the miller to help (he knew what he was doing) and the rollers were his. I found getting the locak farmer round with the telehandler so concide with the seller arriving a huge pain, so again would rather have one group who can do it on there own.

I knew this thing would be a pain, so worth it though XD

Thanks, its good to have more options. I need to move it from Norfolk to Wales, so no small distance :)

I'm getting a milling machine next week, getting it in is no problem, it comes on a pallet and the truck has a tail lift, so we only need to wheel it into place. But then, how do I get it off the pallet? It's a 1000kg+ milling machine, a Deckel FP2.

I have asked and given my space (will be in a narrow room) and my circumstances, such as working alone, the best bet is to build a gantry crane affixed to the walls themselves for stability and lift the machine, remove the pallet and then lower it to the floor and use a prybar to inch it into place.

On my lathe I basically disassembled the pallet while it was on it, jacking one side up and removing part of the pallet and then doing the same on the other side. I did not feel this was too safe and the lathe is not even half as heavy as this machine.

DennisCA":1wlf65ln said:
I have asked and given my space (will be in a narrow room) and my circumstances, such as working alone, the best bet is to build a gantry crane affixed to the walls themselves for stability and lift the machine, remove the pallet and then lower it to the floor and use a prybar to inch it into place.......
You need a crow bar or two, lift the machine bit by bit and prop it with bricks, blocks whatever, remove pallet in bits or whole, lift machine ditto to remove blocks, drop it onto steel pipe rollers, etc etc. Doesn't do to overthink - best to get kitted up a bit and go at it brain off, but keep feet and hands well away from the underside!
And/or borrow one or two pallet trucks.

We manufacture and hire these mini cranes out, so I am biased but they make light work of heavy equipment.

I purchased both the lathe and the bandsaw very cheaply because they where in very difficult spots, the machine lifted them out and moved them both easily,

The lathe was moved about three years ago and was a fairly large Ward lathe. Much bigger than a Colchester Student. but the bandsaw was purchased on Tuesday, both where loaded straight onto a flatbed trailer.

the machine is only 1m wide and lifts 1.5 tons. Not ideal for every machine but I have moved most with success!

Attachments

• bandsaw.jpg
    bandsaw.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 366
  • lathe.jpg
    lathe.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 366
Hi marcru
Not wishing to hijack this thread but do you have the details of where these can be hired
James

The machines called The Hooka, so probably easiest to Google it and see what's near you. We have machines in Hertfordshire (Hookup Solutions Ltd) and Hampshire (southern Trailers) but other companies have other locations. Our machines are hired out all over the country from Hertfordshire but it would always be cheaper to find a local machine.

I've seen your ad on ebay a lot recently - you seem to be hitting a lot of the saved searches I have! Very impressive concept/design. What is the maximum outreach and height on the crane? It would have been very handy for some of the stuff I've been moving recently.

Thanks, glad people are seeing the machine, maximum reach and height is around 4m depending on the attachment on the end of the boom.

Mark

That's a very neat little machine! I'd also be interested in how much it would cost to hire one.

I've moved things up to 1000kg - once they are securely on a pallet, then it makes life much easier. And pallet movers can move them all around the country etc. for not much money.

I have a pallet truck and an offroad one (with tyres). To get things off pallets, some creative use of levers, (car) trolley jacks and a big friend has always worked.

Although my table saw is still actually attached to its pallet, as then its a) very stable and b) easy to move around.

gmgmgm":kfoaynvq said:
That's a very neat little machine! I'd also be interested in how much it would cost to hire one.
The machine is called a Hooka so search for Hooka hire.

I made my own solution that I felt was the safest and it worked out great. I modded a 2 ton shop crane by building new holders for the feet and I used twice the material thickness in some places and stick welded everytihng. And with that I easily and safely got my machine off the pallet and moved into a better place for continuing repairs. Having a crane is just so useful for all kinds of shop things. I will probably be improving it further in the future, such as adding better/more wheels and other frame reinforcements.

31588143707_77314b25a7_c.jpg

31588143707_77314b25a7_c.jpg

wCSZZBah.jpg

G1quoSnh.jpg

Easy enough then to move it around
g7mJLat.jpg

So I can remove the vertical table for cleaning and repair, this machine needs a complete disassembly of the vertical table and saddle.

UNQE9c0.jpg

This solution is good for machines in this weight class, around 1000-1200kg, no heavier. To move the machine further the easiest solution is to lift it a little and put round bars under it.

Those little cranes look great but for anyone who cant get hold of them locally for a one off, a good alternative is to hire one of the micro excavators. They are surprisingly powerful and certainly capable if moving a tonne of machinery with care. Easy enough to operate and around £80 to £100 + vat a day.

As an ex builder I had one but also some of the most useful items are a few sort lengths of scaffold tube perhaps 4 are enough, I have a dozen or so. Use a crowbar or jack to lift edge of pallet, shove a tube under and do same in several places push pallet along transferring pipes from back to front as they are released, pretty easy in practice

Back