Anyone know what this is?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jctyler3

Reaction score
Hi,

I've trawled Google images to try and identify this W Greenslade tool without success and wonder if anyone here knows what it is please?

It's like a giant pencil sharpener - I've attached a photo.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20180909_181359.jpg
    20180909_181359.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 927
I've made similar looking dowel cutters.
(Square stock rotated by power drill or lathe)

Yes, it does look like a very small rounder. Larger sizes made spindles for chairs or handles for tools. This looks like it would produce something at about 1/4" so presumably for dowelling. Veritas make a modern equivalent.

I don't think it's a commercially made tool. Assuming that the name Greenslade is on the iron, with the letters curved round, that looks like a bench plane iron, adapted, mounted on a v-block with a hole drilled or filed on its inside, larger on one side than the other, tapered on the larger side, then parallel. Neatly done though.

What happens if you cut some slightly larger wood and wind it through? Do you get an evenly sized dowel emerging?

"What happens if you cut some slightly larger wood and wind it through? Do you get an evenly sized dowel emerging? "

I always prepare square stock about 10% larger than required dowel diameter.

Thanks for the comments, here are some more pictures.

I did put a piece of existing dowel in it and when twisted, it gave the impression of sharpening it. I presume it would reduce it to a certain diameter and keep that diameter as you continued to twist?

The 'W GREENSLADE' stamp is on the wooden block.

Attachments

• 20180909_181448.jpg
    20180909_181448.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 716
  • 20180909_181359.jpg
    20180909_181359.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 716
jctyler3":3hgo3zck said:
The 'W GREENSLADE' stamp is on the wooden block.

Interesting - so it was commercially made. Greenslades were one of the most successful Bristol plane makers, in business for over a century.
Looking at the pictures on a phone I had assumed that the body was a piece of iron - a metalworker's v-block - adapted by a user, but looking at your pictures full size I can see how beautifully it has been turned from a single piece of beech.

Rounders like this were much commoner in larger sizes, for tool handles and suchlike; I've not seen one so small before.
You've got a very nice, rare tool there.

Without knowing the taper. Could it be a peg reamer, you know Violins and the like? Sorry can you ream the outside of something?
xy

Thanks for the comments.

Looking at it again, it would taper anything twisted through it, as the hole on one side is approx. 18mm and on the other side, 12mm.

I also didn't mention that it has the name 'W. CLARKE' stamped on the body, which looks as if it was then over stamped with 'H. CLARKE'. I'm assuming these were probably names of the people/firms that used it?

Ah, so it's quite a lump, bigger than I expected.
If it's like I think it is, it will accept a stick of up to 18mm across and reduce it to a parallel rod of 12mm diameter by making a sloping cut. The names will most likely be two generations working in the same trade, with the father passing his tools on to his son.

Back