Paring chisel without bolster

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnPW

Established Member
Reaction score
I got these 2 long thinish bevel edge paring chisels that don't have bolsters/shoulders, width is 16mm and 17mm. There's no maker's names.

top.jpg

bolster.jpg

back.jpg

I don't think they are turning tools as they are only 3.2mm thick and have normal chisel handles.

They seem to be be very well made, the bevels are dead straight and even.

My guess is they are user made, the thickness is 3.2mm which is 1/8 inch and does not taper which suggest ground flat stock as the source of the steel. But could they have been commercially made, did any manufacturer (not including the more recent boutique companies) offer chisels like these?

Yes I know bolsters aren't needed on paring chisels as they're meant to be pushed taking fine cuts.

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 592
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 592
  • bolster.jpg
    bolster.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 591
I've seen similar before, made from machine planer knives. Easy to imagine a frugal pattern maker finding enough spare time to make these rather than bin a nice bit of steel. I think that's what these are. Definitely not suitable for turning!

I’ve got one that’s exactly the same and clearly a converted planer knife. Not quite as neatly done as yours though as the bevels aren’t quite a perfect match. I have enough chisels to see me out without the need to use it but I have kept it so I can use the steel myself for something else - a striking knife, cutting gauge or similar.

So the side bevels (along the chisel) were already there and only the tang needs to be shaped?

I was wondering how the maker got the bevels so straight and flat.

In a large works with a pattern shop, foundry, machine shop and toolroom, there would be a few surface grinders knocking about. If someone in the pattern shop slipped his mate in the toolroom a packet of Woodbines.....

Back