angle grinder capabilities

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Page

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to cut through a 1 inch dia steel rod. Would an angle grinder and appropriate disc do such a job? It's at ground level and no hope of sawing.
I'm not an engineer and am unfamiliar with angle grinders.
Suggestions anybody?
Fred.

A simple job for an angle grinder but remember it is a very dangerous tool. Watch some videos on safety, get some good goggles etc and take care.

It will work fine. Use a cutting disc, not a grinding disc and, as stated above, good goggles. Make sure you're not directing sparks towards anything flammable or meltable. Good idea to wear leather gloves and ear defenders as well.
Duncan

Remember it is the speed that cuts, not the pressure. Take your time and resist the temptation to press hard into the rod.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

A 1/16 slitting disc will do the job nicely, remember to prevent the wok from spinning and do not fire the sparks at glass as they will stick on it and will leave rusty particles.

If the rod is not hardened, a recip saw is an excellent tool for this kind of thing and you can make flush cuts with them. Might be a better long term investment for you too?

I've been looking at buying a reciprocating saw for almost as many years as they have been avaialble. Still cant think of a need though. My disc cutter / angle grinder on the other hand, OMG what I havent done with that. I burnt one out cutting a below ground cherry tree stump out (metal discs dont work too well on wood). I replaced it immediately.

The best advice for a disc cutter user is to work out which way the blade is spinning, and if its the wrong way, be prepared for it to kick back just like a saw or router table would if you feed the wood from the wrong end, or run ahead of the work.

Repeat after me.....
Keep your soft bits away from the blade,
and you will never need first aid.

8)

sunnybob":3iud3yiz said:
I've been looking at buying a reciprocating saw for almost as many years as they have been avaialble. Still cant think of a need though. My disc cutter / angle grinder on the other hand, OMG what I havent done with that. I burnt one out cutting a below ground cherry tree stump out (metal discs dont work too well on wood). I replaced it immediately.

The best advice for a disc cutter user is to work out which way the blade is spinning, and if its the wrong way, be prepared for it to kick back just like a saw or router table would if you feed the wood from the wrong end, or run ahead of the work.

Repeat after me.....
Keep your soft bits away from the blade,
and you will never need first aid.

8)

Depends on the kind of things you do. Recip saws are great for pruning or cutting down small trees and large bushes, much safer than a chainsaw. I have a small cordless and a large corded saw, I have used them to prune, cut down plants, cut up scrap materials both wood and metal. Cut plasterboard, cut access holes in the back of cupboards, cut plumbing pipes in awkward areas, cut up old water butts. Recently had to replace part of my exhaust, it was great for cutting out the old pipe, an angle grinder would have worked but would have been much noisier and more dangerous as I was lying under the car in an awkward place.
Oh and no sparks either.

Are they better than angle grinders? No, they are different, you need both :lol:

Back