Spring for Record 52 1/2 Quick Release

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anders C

Reaction score
Hi!
I bought an old Record 52 1/2 online. But I could not get the quick release to work, so I tried to look for any obvious problem. My idea is that the spring for the halfnut is to thick in thread diameter and therefore the halfnut won´t go down far enough before the spring is max. compressed. And I also see that the spring is grinded down by someone, due to blue colored steel on one end.
Do anyone know what kind of spring is supposed to be used?

(its the first time I ever seen or touched an record vice, so I could have misimprented the function of the quick release)

I hope my "English" is bearable, best regard from Sweden
Anders
4.jpg

1.jpg

6.jpg

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 292
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 287
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 289
hello Anders and welcome!

I think your vice is an early version where Record used a spring held against the bottom of the casting to push against the underside of the half nut. This ensures it is held firmly against the screw until the lever is pressed (later models used a 'watch spring' on the inside of the face jaw that applies pressure to the flat bar keeping the nut held against the screw).

If this is correct then I suspect a previous owner has replaced the original spring, perhaps shortening it in an attempt to get it to work.

Unfortunately these models are rather uncommon so it may be difficult to find someone who can tell you the correct size spring.

I suppose it should be possible to find out through experimentation if you can find a longer spring and then gradually shortening it until it works. You might also try a slightly weaker/thinner spring so that it compresses into a smaller space.

Sorry I can't be more helpful!
Nick
PS I would be very interested to see more pictures of your vice if you have time - it is could be about 100 years old and quite an unusual model.

edit to show a couple of pictures to illustrate the different designs. The older design (the spring is just about visible):

5OSeX8jiGdIncqHk1AatOWq4Nr4NiWxcMeqrVqN0t55SFgF2SWlzuw

the later design has a flat watch spring on the inside face (apologies, the picture is not very clear):
RD4-1024x576.jpg

Resizer_15381684818116.jpg

Resizer_15381684818115.jpg

Resizer_15381684818114.jpg

Resizer_15381684818113.jpg

Resizer_15381684818112.jpg

Resizer_15381684818111.jpg

Attachments

• Resizer_15381684818116.jpg
    Resizer_15381684818116.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 250
  • Resizer_15381684818115.jpg
    Resizer_15381684818115.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 251
  • Resizer_15381684818114.jpg
    Resizer_15381684818114.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 252
  • Resizer_15381684818113.jpg
    Resizer_15381684818113.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 250
  • Resizer_15381684818112.jpg
    Resizer_15381684818112.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 247
  • Resizer_15381684818111.jpg
    Resizer_15381684818111.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 251
thanks Anders - yes that is definitely the older model. I am afraid that unless someone has the same model on this forum you will have to experiment with different spring sizes.

The good news is that I do not think there is much else that can go wrong: you may like to check the flat steel bar has not twisted and also inspect the place where the flat bar engages with the slot on the half nut.

As a last resort, perhaps it is possible to adjust the small metal tab that holds the flat bar in place to move the point where the bar pivots - this might increase the distance the nut travels when the lever is pulled.

I hope you can get it to work as it is a very nice vice!

Thanks for the help Nabs. I will try do dig up some softer springs and test them out. The flat bar is indeed a little twisted, but I tried to move the halfnut with the flat bar removed and using a big screwdriver as "leveler or prying bar?"(what will be the correct word?). And the spring will build to much even when it's maximum compressed.

Is it possible to date the vice more precise?

BR Anders

It is not possible to give a very precise date I am afraid - only that it was made between 1918 and the early 1930s.

A couple of things.....
Is that bar retaining bit with the bend supposed to be the other way around because looking at it maybe it's stopping full leverage ?
Being so old there's the chance the hook into the thread could be too worn and would "jump" out of the halfnut when tightened up.
Cheers Andy

The bar retaining bit was indeed the wrong way round, but the halfnut still won't move down enough. I changed the spring for a weaker one, that didn't help either. And I had to try tightening the vice hard after your answer, and the halfnut jumps. But by holding the lever for the quick release forced outwards during the tightening I can use the vice. This is only an issue the first 5 centimetres, and clamping thicker objects works. I can not really see any differing wear on the thread on the section that "jumps"...

It seems that I bought me an "non quick releasing" vice, with an extra feature "spontaneous self release on material you want to saw or plane" for just 50 BPD. :x

that's a pity Anders. It is not uncommon to hear people have a problem with the halfnut jumping because there is dirt in the mechanism or because the "watch spring" (used in more recent models) has not be wound sufficiently tight or has been fitted incorrectly, but neither of these would apply in your case.

I am not sure how much more time you want to spend on it, particularly since the problem may be caused by wear on the thread, but I suppose there is a small chance that the slot in the half nut where the bar engages has worn.

To experiment you could try and put a thin spacer into the slot. If the slot has worn and there is room for a spacer then this might allow the bar to turn slightly further away from the screw when the trigger is squeezed. Obviously this would only work if the nut was already *very* close to disengaging when the trigger is squeezed.

Good luck!

PS there may be something obvious I am missing so please don't give up just yet!

Back