Moving Large Machines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyolith

Established Member
Reaction score
I am going to have to move my 907kg milling machine at some point. I know methods of moving it, but I lack any of the equipment to do it (most critically a trailer).

I was wondering if there is such thing as companies who I could pay to do it for me? If so any recommendations?

Try a search on the Model Engineer forums

I do strongly believe that this is the reason why smaller vintage machinery demands a higher premium than larger machines. I'd gladly shoehorn a Colchester into my shed, if only I knew a mate with a Chinook to airlift it in! :lol:

DTR":1ms3ikcx said:
Try a search on the Model Engineer forums

I do strongly believe that this is the reason why smaller vintage machinery demands a higher premium than larger machines. I'd gladly shoehorn a Colchester into my shed, if only I knew a mate with a Chinook to airlift it in! :lol:

It is absolutely the reason a lathe that will fit in an estate car is far more valuable than something that requires a trailer or pallet to move. My partners grandfather has a lovely Harrison lathe that I would very much like to have.
I get the feeling he thinks it has some value, though in reality the simple logistics of moving it make it worth a fraction of my Myford.

Up here we aren't worried about moving heavy objects........ I can't fully understand why it is so problematic to Brits and other southeners......

I am fortunat to own a Massey-Ferguson 165 equipped with a front loader with pallet forks. With that I can easily load any machine weighing under 1000 kilos.
When I need to load or unload somethiong heavier I just call a local farmer and ask him for help. He charges a little for it but when everything is prepared in advance the whole job usually takes less than an hour so the cost is nothing to worry about.
Small machines up to 400 kilos are easy to move on our own trailer behind one of our cars. Heavier still and I borrow a big braked trailer from a neighbour and ask a friend to come and pull it with his heavy four wheel drive pickup truck.
On shorter distances I haul heavy machinery on a trailer behind my own tractor. On longer distances I tend to send it by lorry. Wherever something has to be loaded far from home there will always be some local farmer or some business with a forklift willing to help in exchange for a small fee.

A mechnics engine crane is an awkward tool to store when not in use, but they're not expensive, and are great for lifting things on and off trailers - even if you have to man handle the trailer under the load rather than try and move it on the crane.

Once somthing is on the floor, scaffold bar rollers and crow bars do pretty well.

I know none of this is any good if you have no trailer, but, and this is only a guess, I would expect an all-in-one company's price to make the hire of s trailer for a DIY solution much more viable?

Problem is I don’t even have a vehicle with a toe bar, so I’d need to hire a whole other vehicle too. The nature of my (old) workshop makes a engine crane pretty useless to, it has to be a telehandler really. I also lack the equipment to move it across the workshop to the door.

All that and I would rather not do it on my own, makes me think the all in one solution would be better if it exists.

Across floor with one or two pallet trucks. The weight won't be even so a lot of load may sit on just a few castors which might go through a timber floor (bin there dunnit). For the same reason you need trucks which are total rated much higher than your actual machine weight. 2 blokes 2 trucks good.
You can hire vans with a tail lift. You can hire heavy duty trailers with ramps. You might need a block and tackle to pull it on and make sure you don't let it roll off.

Rhyolith":oktufjmd said:
Problem is I don’t even have a vehicle with a toe bar.

db6dc51d07df6b2366a22b6d30dffab8.jpg

I've worked with riggers / machine movers a few times and been impressed by their ability to move the most awkward objects, from heavy to fragile. You could do worse than contact a couple. 1ton would be nothing to these guys.
You may need one or two toe jacks to get it off the ground, a set of skates to put under it and some manpower to push it to someplace accessible.
The normal weapon of choice for small jobs is a forklift :)

Call up Felder (or any other supplier) and ask for the name of their outfit - they sub-contract it.

FYI tailifts are limited to 500kg - I looked before.

National Pallett might be able to help if you can get it on a pallet.

As mentioned earlier i this thread, give Steve Cox a call. (Usual disclaimer, no connection other than a satisfied customer)

This is lifted from his advert on Homeworkshop.org

Call Steve Cox on 07836 736496 or email [email protected] for quote. Machinery removal and transportation service based in West Yorkshire, UK coverage. Crane can lift 1100kg at 1.2 metres and 420kg at 4.0 metres. Vehicle can carry 1100kg on 10 foot x 7 foot flatbed.
Now using flatbed Transit with rear mounted crane, ideal for narrow drives etc.
Competitive rates, careful, reliable, fully insured service. Small amount of dry secure short term storage. Machinery bought and sold from a single item to a complete workshop.

A good and helpful guy, well know in model engineering circles - just make sure you have the kettle on.

James

Once you have it on a pallet most pallet carriers can send a lorry with a Moffet which is a fork lift truck that mounts on the back of the lorry. A Moffet will be able to lift the machine.

Ive got a 1 tonne machine onto and off a pallet with a car jack (or pallet truck) and a couple of 25mm diameter pieces of hardwood dowel and a few pieces of 18mm ply to act as packers.

I'm with getting someone in 1000kg is serious weight and needs some experience Imho.
Axminster dropped of my p/t on a tailift using a pallet truck I prepped a board so it went from the lift to the drive and another board into the shop. About 10mins. Then it took me hours to put the wheelkit on with an engine hoist. This was 250kg though.

bourbon":27wyir21 said:
Jacob":27wyir21 said:
Most pallet trucks do 1000kg or more. Also very useful around the shop for occasionally moving machines. Needn't be top quality if only for intermittent use.

https://www.key.co.uk/en/key/pallet-tru ... g-capacity
Unfortunately they are a right PITA to store out of the way when not being used
They are pretty compact and low level. Some have folding down handles and would only have a small footprint standing on end

I move a lot of big machines - its easy as I have all the kit through work. For a one off move I'd be looking at paying someone to do it, by the time you've hired a van and trailer you might as well get someone who's set up to do it, and insured!

As I suggested 250kg i can move...1000kg is at another level and a milling machine(Bridgeport) are a tall awkward pita.

I have moved a lot of machines in my time, first thing you must remember lathes are top heavy & a lot of others are too. A Harrison 140 or similar goes 750 Kgs on its stand & the centre of gravity is literally at the tray level. They tip over far easier than you would imagine & if it starts to go you aint going to stop it.
A pallet truck is not good to move a machine on because a small amount of rocking can have them over.
I have seen this where a perfectly good Elliot surface grinder was moved on a pallet truck & went over going round a corner. The machine was a write off.
Pipe or bar rollers are good, a Bridgeport mill can be moved easily by two men on 1" dia bars using crowbars & a few wedges. If the ground is soft you would need a trackway of heavy plywood or steel plates.
A heavy engine crane is useful but a lot of the far eastern ones are a bit too flimsy! Watch your fingers as its easy to squash them!
There are a lot of Hiab owner operators out there & some are well used to carrying machines. I know a good one in Essex Phil Grimwade & he is quite reasonable on price.

Back