Band saw and pillar drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nigel65

Reaction score
Hi I am just starting to make a hobby workshop in a shed for myself, I want some advice on the best pillar drill and bandsaw to buy is. I liked the Record ones but got put off by bad reviews.
Hope you can help

Most new hobby priced drills are of very dubious quality and you are far better looking for a secondhand quality British machine.
Fobco, Progress, Startrite all good names to look for.
Bandsaws. I would still go for used, but new ones are less of a minefield than drills. Buy as big as you can fit in your workshop. Setting up a bandsaw is vital to get good results. Lots of youtube videos and dvds by steve maskery are excellent. Top quality blades from firms like TuffSaws make a real difference. No one blade type/size will do all jobs, you will need several widths and tooth pitches. A blade that has been used for cutting curves will rarely ever cut dead straight again. Segregate blades used for curves and keep them for other curved work.

Accept that whatever you buy, new or old, you will need to make "adjustments" to it before it runs properly.

machinery that runs properly straight from the box is more expensive than the average hobbyist can afford.

The Metabo bandsaw is good value for money imho
My 318 does the biz for me
LOOK
Can be found for less £££ with free delivery

Back