Just starting - chuck problems.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPK

Reaction score
Just starting in the world of wood turning, so didn't want to jump in with expensive new lathe, so picked up second hand Delta with a few accessories and set of chisels. Given lathe good clean up, and that seems to be OK. Included was a SuperNova chuck with a set of jaws attached, and a couple of other jaw sets. My problem is that the screws holding the current set of jaws on chuck seem to be seized solid, so cannot change jaws. It looks as though the allen key slots are a bit worn so perhaps someone has already tried to remove and has failed. Any suggestions on how to remove these screws would be appreciated.

Spray some penetrating oil on and leave to soak for a while, use proper penetrating oil rather than WD40 which is not as effective.

Can also try giving the end of the key a good sharp tap with a hammer to break any "seal" with the jaw.

Heating may also help break the "seal".

Hopefully one or more of those will do the trick !

For penetrating oil, a fifty fifty mix of acetone and atf works every time, folowed by an impact driver with the correct metric/imperial hex key. Above all, be patient ! let the penetrating oil soak overnight, if you can, these threads can be seized by aluminium to steel galling, or with resin from previous wood turning, also ensure your allen/hex keys are a snug full depth fit, the recesses may be partially filled with all sorts of crud.
hope this helps regards Paul

parvum":1sdeecv0 said:
For penetrating oil, a fifty fifty mix of acetone and atf works every time, folowed by an impact driver with the correct metric/imperial hex key. Above all, be patient ! let the penetrating oil soak overnight, if you can, these threads can be seized by aluminium to steel galling, or with resin from previous wood turning, also ensure your allen/hex keys are a snug full depth fit, the recesses may be partially filled with all sorts of crud.
ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid (I think).
Acetone = nail polish remover from Poundland.

I had some screw stuck on my RS chuck and just put a drift in the centre and gave it a couple of sharp taps this freed them up with no problems

Saw a trick the other day for getting a Philips head out that had been mauled. They put an elastic band across the head and then put the screwdriver in as normal.
Not tried it but wouldn't cost much to try with an allen key

Brian

As others have said, 'patience is the key'. It's also worth trying to tighten the screw a little which occasionally helps; but after waiting for stuff of choice a chance to soak in.

Robbo3":3ovs6tjt said:
parvum":3ovs6tjt said:
ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid (I think).
Acetone = nail polish remover from Poundland.
Be aware that some nail polish removers are no longer acetone.

If all else fails, drill the heads off the screws, remove jaw and then grip the protruding screw stub with some mole grips to remove it.

Or leave the jaws as they are and buy another set of jaw carriers to use with the other jaws, quick and easy to swap them out, although a few more quid of course.....

Shame the OP hasn't been online again since the original posting, still, hopefully some of the ideas will help someone else in the future....

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all and thank you for all the suggestions.

I have tried all of these now and managed to remove a few screws, so each jaw is now only held on by one screw. These I have not managed to budge and the key slots are now rounded off. I think that it will have to be a case of drilling and hoping that there is enough left to grip as I have not been able to trace any replacement jaw carriers.

I will let you know if I eventually succeed.

Best wishes, Terry

I have had the same problem this week. removing jaws that had not been off for some time and one of the screws would not budge and the square had rounded.
I drilled it out just smaller than the thread and tapped lightly a small square screw driver into the drilled hole and out it came. Fortunately I had a screw ready to replace it. Be careful of the thread in the carrier when drilling.

Fred Taylor
Orchard-woodturners.org.uk

Before you resort to drilling.

If you have any torx bits of equal size or slightly larger thand hex key. Hammer one in square. This should cut its own way into the damaged socket it the bolt. And with all the penetrating oil hopefully be the last shock required.

Hope it helps.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to let everyone know how things turned out, but like most of you this has been a busy time of year. Managed to remove all but four screws by different methods, then had to drill out other 4. Have since obtained a new set - what a price for 8 small screws.
Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.
Hope you all have a happy Christmas.

Latest posts

Back