Dewalt 3501 bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidGriffiths

Reaction score
I was recently given a dewalt 3501 bandsaw. Its complete but does require some tlc, does anyone have any instruction booklets or manuals as I'll need to strip it down to clean it and learn the ins and outs of the saw.
Many thanks
Dave

Yep I have it on pdf copied from my old machine. Will pm you my email address, send me an email and I'll respond with the file.

Bob

Nice little bandsaw. I started with the 3401 a few years ago and had great fun. With a Tuffsaw blade it was wonderful.
A DeWalt 3401 - 2013 r.jpg

However, afte a year I moved to a Record BS400
Malcolm

Attachments

• A DeWalt 3401 - 2013 r.jpg
    A DeWalt 3401 - 2013 r.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 605
That's great thank you, I have read good things about the tuffsaw blades, I'm going to call them and get advise about the right sort of blade for my uses.

So I've been stripping it down and the tensioner at the top is so stiff. I've taken the top wheel off and whilst turning the tensioner knob on the top, nothing is happening. I presume that turning the knob raises and lowers the wheel in increase/decrease pressure (tension) on the blade but nothing is happening. Am I missing something?

Sounds like It could be the threads on the tension mechanism are stripped,
It could be the nut either
This should be obvious looking ?
Can you disassemble it ?
Id say you could just get some stainless threadbar and change it out ?
Have not seen folks doing this though, but I presume its a normal thing
Tom

DavidGriffiths":a09yakcg said:
So I've been stripping it down and the tensioner at the top is so stiff. I've taken the top wheel off and whilst turning the tensioner knob on the top, nothing is happening. I presume that turning the knob raises and lowers the wheel in increase/decrease pressure (tension) on the blade but nothing is happening. Am I missing something?

Nope. The carriage bolt is only soft metal & the threads have stripped. It might also have stretched as it is under a lot of tension especially with a 1/2" blade. You will have to destroy the bolt to get it out - but it's useless anyway so no great loss.
If you can source a hardened 150mm carriage bolt (or harden & temper one) that may solve the problem, but I couldn't so just bought several standard ones & resolved to change them at the first sign of wear.

Edit: Should have said the bolt had an M6 thread. IIRC I tried to replace it with an M8 but it wouldn't fit in the space in the casing that trapped it as it was too small.

It's a common problem with that particular machine. I had one and the same thing happened.
I have to say that a 1/2" blade is running the machine it its limit. The issue is not the width of the wheels, but the stiffness of the frame.
If you have the model with cast alloy wheels, you have a very nice little machine. My brother now has mine which I bought over 30 years ago.
If you have the model with plastic wheels, you have a lemon.

Steve Maskery":2cgak8gp said:
If you have the model with plastic wheels, you have a lemon.

Hmm. Mine had plastic wheels Steve, bought new and used for well over 20 years without a single problem, I did use 1/2" blade sometimes as well.

Mine came with plastic wheels and the first time I used it the central flange that houses the bearing split. Same thing happened to the replacement wheels. They lasted a day. I insisted on an alloy pair, like they had always been and my problems were solved.
Perhaps they fixed the problem.

Never new they came with plastic wheels. You learn something every day.

I always considered the ribbed table to be a poor compromise on quality & had mine replaced under warranty by Elu at a local dealer. The table had warped. Presumably they hadn't allowed the aluminium long enough to condition before they assembled it.

I've added an edit to my earlier post which may be of interest.

This is all useful stuff so thank you. I've founds a company which apparently does all the spares for the saw (http://www.ptctools.co.uk/spares3.php/s ... 1%2FTYPE_1) so hopefully I should find everything I need there is I can't find it locally (devon)

Like I said, it was free to me so I don't mind spending a bit getting it going as long as it's worth it or should I just but a new saw?

Steve Maskery":3ab5fcjw said:
Mine came with plastic wheels and the first time I used it the central flange that houses the bearing split. Same thing happened to the replacement wheels. They lasted a day. I insisted on an alloy pair, like they had always been and my problems were solved.
Perhaps they fixed the problem.
How long ago was that Steve?

We were a distributor late eighties / early nineties which was when I bought mine, we sold quite a few and I don't remember ever having one back for major issues. Perhaps it's the later ones which had the problems. They weren't a cheap item either although I got mine at cost of course. :D

I sold mine on locally only a couple of years ago and I know it's still working very well, would have kept it had I not got the chance of a Sartrite 352

Bob

Steve Maskery":3cuyjkp6 said:
Lons":3cuyjkp6 said:
How long ago was that Steve?

Hi Bob
I don't know exactly, but I do remember it being delivered to where I worked at the time, so some time between August 84 and August 91.

Must have been an early one Steve as mine from memory was about 1990, maybe yours was one of the first plastic models or a Friday afternoon jobbie, B&D professional division did churn out some dodgy stuff at times and was a far cry from the original DeWalt and Elu standards.
We sold at least a couple a week locally which was good business at the time. I think they retailed around £300 but that was before all the chiwanese stuff came in.

Good to see your workshop progress btw, your posts kept me entertained for hours.

Bob

Hello, I too am in need of this manual for the dewalt 3501. I don't suppose you could please send to me also?

Hello, you have been very obliging with the other forum users in supplying the manual for the Dewalt 3501 bandsaw. I would be most grateful also if you could send me a PDF copy also. I am now the owner of a Dewalt 3501 and really need the manual for blade replacement and adjustments. Thank you.

Back