Calling Xcalibur / Harvey table saw owners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmac80

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all
Looking at a harvey table saw, it is the small railed version hw110lge-30.

My plan is to add a kreg router plate with the kreg levelling corner set to the small black phenolic board at the end of the table, so cut a rectangle in that for the router plate then a trition tra001 router.

Can any owners please tell me if they think this would be an issue and also the thickness of the phenolic board.

Many Thanks

My saw is the earlier model Xcalibur and I've fitted a router lift into a 40mm thick chunk of kitchen worktop as part of an outfeed table. I would suggest this is a better material than cutting a hole into what I guess will be a fairly flimsy phenolic board.
Not only do you want the router table section to be flat it also has to withstand the reaction to the cutting forces and not move at all.
Additionally you need to be able to mount fences etc on the RT section.

Dont use the Kreg. It warps.

My first one rippled under the weight of the big makita router. to be fair, Kreg replaced it, no quibble, direct from america.
But the second one is now also bowing. So Much that the fence does not touch the plate any more. I have the corner adjusters, but to get the plate up to touch the fence makes a huge lip at the corner of the plate. Its not workable.
Its 9 mm phenolic, but I strongly recommend getting a metal plate, either ali or steel.
my next router table will NOT include a phenolic plate.

Thanks guys good to know.
maybe I will look at the incra alu insert plate then.
Yes I was wondering about just getting an off cut of kitchen worktop... I knew once I chucked out the off cuts I had that I would need them soon :oops:
I'm not sure it would work for me on the out feed table in my arrangement, do you any pics of your saw setups guys?
cheers

My first (and second) table was kitchen worktop #-o #-o about as flat as the router plate (hammer) (hammer)

Axminster have their version on display at the W18 show. Here's the Harvey original router table in axy colours. Don't know if they are taking pre orders yet though.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 117
Sorry for the orientation, posting pics from an ipad is like keyhole surgery ...

And the original Harvey table has a decent set of under table clamps and a nice neat 2" dia hole + ring instead of that gaping aperture for the axy router lift.

Yeah I did see harvey and axi's cast iron ones, And maybe the way to go.. But I do like the idea of making my own, Out of the 2 I think i'd go with the harvey original one though.
I think axi are not going to be too cheap for harvey stuff... just a feeling.

My feeling too. I'm interested in bandsaws so looked v closely at the new harvey one at axminster. They want £2k+ for it. I was pretty unimpressed. It isn't anywhere near as good as an SCM minimax for similar money, maybe even a hammer for less.
Shame.

BTW did you get my private message a few days ago @sideways ?
I typed it all, seemed to send but doesn't appear in my messages outbox :/

Sorry James - no, I don't see a PM from you. Notes from others on 14 Aug and 1st Oct are the only ones recently. If it was longish, thanks in advance ! Send me a short note, I'll reply and once we're in touch we can chat about whatever :) I seem to be here most days at some point or other.

Ahh, yes, you've jogged my memory. I remember emailing to ask you a question. I have checked emails as well as PM's but haven't seen your reply (unless I'm being an silly person which is entirely possible - still a bit slow with this forum software).

forum emails dont seem to work.
Copy the email, and paste it into a PM. They always arrive.

Cheers, Got your latest pm and tried to reply to it twice now via the forum and it just stays in my outbox and doesn't go to "sent" folder.
Bring back the old forum that worked :)

Back