Diamond stone grit question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon.1976

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit apprehensive about asking this, as its a sharpening question :| but....

I recently had a 'mishap' (ie. dropping it) with my old Norton 1000/4000 water stone so I thought'd get either a dmt duosharp or 2 diasharps. I was thinking of coarse and extra fine for either setup, is this too big a gap?
I use a strop and compound/polish to finish the edge. So coarse and fine could be an option?

A lot of us use the 3x8 Ultex diamond plates. ITS usually have them quite cheap, and when on sale they're about a tenner each.
You can easily get a coarse, fine and ultrafine for less than the cost of one DMT stone.

Just a thought.

Thanks for the reply. I've only just got back home so haven't had chance to check on the forums. I ended up getting some ezelap stones in the aforementioned grits.

Yep, also a respectable brand. You should get on pretty well with those.
Did you get just the Coarse and Extra, or a Fine as well?

I got the coarse and extra fine. I haven’t tried them yet but, no doubt I’ll end up getting a fine also.

I did skimp a bit as I ordered 8”x2” stones. I hope it’s a decision I don’t regret. My combi Waterstone was 8”x3” but after dropping it, I’ve been using a 2” wide oilstone and haven’t found the narrower size an issue.

Do yourself a favour and get Atoma brand diamond plates. They wear slower and sharpen more consistently. Buy the 1200 plate and a 600 replacement sheet, stick it to the other side of the aluminium base and you have a 2 sided diamond plate. You can also use the 600 side to flatten stones.

Jon.1976":390gfbsx said:
I'm a bit apprehensive about asking this, as its a sharpening question :| but....

I recently had a 'mishap' (ie. dropping it) with my old Norton 1000/4000 water stone so I thought'd get either a dmt duosharp or 2 diasharps. I was thinking of coarse and extra fine for either setup, is this too big a gap?
I use a strop and compound/polish to finish the edge. So coarse and fine could be an option?

Hi Jon

The coarse diamond stone (at 240 grit) is only for really coarse work, such as creating (rather than refining) a primary bevel.

It is important to recognise that the super fine diamond stone is just a name and is not really fine at all. It is generally rated at 1200 grit .... which is where you have been starting your sharpening regime to date! Clearly, a superfine diamond stone is not going to create the edge alone.

So you turn to a strop and compound to finish the edge. Jumping from 1200 to 30000 (or more) is a big jump (images of Paul Sellers working feverishly pop into my mind). I would be happier with something around 4000-6000 at a bridge, which is what you have been doing to date.

I guess the solution I prefer is to replace your Nortons (and be careful!), or find other stones that are more durable but work in a similar manner - that depends on the type of steel you use.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Back