Peel lid box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racers

Established Member
Reaction score
Another box with a peel lid, Lacewood top, pallet wood sides, cherry bottom and rosewood hinges.
I planes up the sides to 15mm mitred them on the shooting board cut the rebates for the hinges and glued them together, then sawed and plained angles.
I glued two pieces of rosewood for the hinges at 90deg to avoid having short grain across the pins, cut out the hinges and glued them in.
The top was cut from a thicker piece of Lacewood and the corner shaped with rasps, sandpaper on a dowel etc.
Slots where cut for the hinges after drilling the pivot holes, the top was clamped to the box and the hinges where drilled, a bit if adjusting was done to get the lid to go just over 90deg.
The box was finished with Danish oil and wax.
A quick shot with a Lensbaby composer pro and sweet 50 optic.

Lacewood box by Racers, on Flickr

Its 68mm square.

Pete

A novel and attractive design, hope the hinges are treated with respect by the recipient.

Wow, that's tiny!

Love to see innovative designs like this. Well done. ( :wink: And well done for editing most of the typos out of your initial post :wink: ).

That looks great Pete. I don’t suppose you took any photos while making the peel lid did you? I quite fancy having a go at one.

Sorry I didn’t.
All I did was to draw a line half the thickness of the lid and then sketch in the curve from the center line to the top and from the bottom to the middle.
Yo can then saw the waste away leaving a square block for the curve, shape it with any thing you have coping saw rasps spokeshave etc.

Pete

Ahh gotcha. Thanks. I think I will have a go at some point - for a Christmas pressie or something.

Nice idea for a box lid; one to commit to memory. I've seen a similar technique done for drawer and door pulls - Rob

Very nice as always Pete.
Looks like a friendly lizard to me. I'm a bit odd about seeing that stuff.
Sorry!
Can you explain a bit more about the rosewood hinges to a beginner? I can't quite fathom what you mean and how you pinned it.
I am very basic. Apologies.
:|

Many thanks for going to the trouble of replicating it Pete. It's much appreciated and easily understood when demonstrated like that. Appreciate your time and effort.
I made a little box last year for someone on here who was kind enough to gift me some beautiful off cuts. (Take a guess.) My first 'box', no joinery, pinned hinges on o1 ends to match the marking knife and I was intrigued how you got round the chamfered lid twice. Makes perfect sense now of course. So thanks again.
Include pics to show the box certainly not it's level of achievement. The photos flatter it. It was full of mistakes, not least being too small to suit initial and main purpose. So fairly useless yet lessons were learned. The pinned hinge and my ineptitude drilling it accurately (also the filed off brass screw head out by a bit and I went and bought the big drill in frustration because of this and other projects). Then I had to learn to restore that. One day I will get the bench built.... If I had a rabbit for every hole I've fallen down I'd never be hungry again.

H6X2hhO.jpg

0ugfoAd.jpg

One more step down the road of learning.
Many thanks again for taking your time to do the WIP Pete. =D>
Regards
Chris

You only make no mistakes if you make nothing.

It looks good to me, I like the steel and wood.

Pete

Pete

Are the hinge pins let into the underside, back edge or the ends of the lid - and then concealed?

Dave

Back