Electric supply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwr

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi just a question on electric supply to home workshops.

This is relating to 1 man workshops,
What size fuse is your supply taken from at house end?

What is the size of the main fuse feeding your house?

All single phase

What machines do you run?

Thanks

My workshop with the machines has a 32A single phase supply which is sufficient to run the 4kw motor on my bandsaw, 3kw motors on my combi plus lights and 2kw extractor without issue. Obviously I'm on my own so its one machine at a time + extractor.

Workshop is a single garage part attached to a small detached house. Fusebox is in the garage. Supply from the street is protected with a 60 amp fuse. This is common with older properties. 80A and 100A are common with newer and bigger properties.
Garage has a single 32A ring with several double sockets.
With solo use, the most that is ever running at once is a 1.5kw dust extractor, 120 watt air filter, a few watts for a tool battery charger, one power tool or machine upto max 2kw and a 1kw heater when I'm working in winter time - that's less than 20A total spread over several sockets on a ring rated for 32A.

Thankyou for replys, I also have a 60 amp main fuse to house and spare breakers in my CU one is 40 amp and was planing on using this. I have 10mm swa cable to workshop and will mainly be in there myself machines are to be around 3hp and only 1 at a time with extractor. Looks like I should be ok. The spark doing the work says he thinks it should be ok but has been out the game for a while.

I have to get someone to sign it off when finished to keep it all above board mainly for insurance purposes.

Back