• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Swap! Nice beech boards for nice, not beech, boards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadeye

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a little over-stocked on Beech.

I'd like to swap some beech - sawn 28mm thick, by 8-20 inches wide, by 2.5-3.5m long boards (kiln dried; stored in garage in stick) - for some other timber.

Obviously not cu for cu - I know beech is inexpensive and walnut (for example) isn't. But I've got very little of anything else (apart from some oak, poplar and meranti - and not much of those) - so would consider anything really. Offer me a 2:1 on something special!

I'm in south Bucks but visit Brighton and Nottingham regularly (so M1/M25/M23 corridors). I can get 2.4m lengths in my car. Or you're welcome to come here and pick some and get tea and cake.

Ideally I'm after boards 6" or wider, 30mm thick or lower.

Even happy to trade a bin full of offcuts if anyone wants to!

Any offers? And, sorry, no I don't want a) a llama b) your spouse c) a lifetime's supply of chicken pellets.

Hi Deadeye,
What quantity are you looking for?
I like to keep a selection of Native hardwoods and Beech is something I don't have in my timber store right now although when I have used Beech in the past its generally been for bench tops and jigs at 2~3" thick.
I keep all my timber outside under cover in a dedicated timber store its all locally sourced (native timber) thats been AD not KD.
I have several English Cherry boards at 2" thick (grown in our local wood) and I have 1 Elm board at 1.25"thick i'm probably not going to use.
I'm in West Berkshire (4 miles from M4 J12), I would want to get the timber out and check it over before committing you to a visit and could provide photos and more accurate diamentions if you are interested?

Mike-W":pg91rlo1 said:
Hi Deadeye,
What quantity are you looking for?
I like to keep a selection of Native hardwoods and Beech is something I don't have in my timber store right now although when I have used Beech in the past its generally been for bench tops and jigs at 2~3" thick.
I keep all my timber outside under cover in a dedicated timber store its all locally sourced (native timber) thats been AD not KD.
I have several English Cherry boards at 2" thick (grown in our local wood) and I have 1 Elm board at 1.25"thick i'm probably not going to use.
I'm in West Berkshire (4 miles from M4 J12), I would want to get the timber out and check it over before committing you to a visit and could provide photos and more accurate diamentions if you are interested?

Hi Mike

That sounds perfect! The beech is kiln dried. I've about 30 slabs in all. Shall I send you some photos? How long have your boards been in stick?

Thanks

From memory the Cherry was planked sometime in 2014 and has been in stick since, the Elm I have had for a good deal longer (I would have brought it circa 2010~12).
Sounds like you may be interested?
Let me get the boards out, check condition, measure & photograph over the next few days then ping you an email or PM, we can then take it from there

Hi again
I have had a look at the Elm & Cherry and it looks good to swap, I I have to sort dinner right now so I'll email you later with pictures and sizes and brief description. Not sure how much you would be looking for but i will struggle to store much more than 4~5 cubic ft / 6~8 boards of Beech.
I have 1 Elm board at 0.96ft3 and upto 4 Cherry boards total of 2.75ft3,
For valuing the Beech v the Elm/English Cherry you might like to look at this site.
https://www.britishhardwoods.co.uk/nati ... mbers.html

Hi I have some yew boards as you come to Brighton pehaps you would like to travel a little further down a27 to Eastboune I can point you in the direction of a good timber supplier I have a collection of uk timbers

Hi H-in-n
Are you looking to swap some yew? I would certainly be interested. Until I make some space I can't really buy any more though!

Back