Shapeoko 3

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dont, however I'm currently saving up for one after months of research on which machine to buy.

yeah, several factors
1) im a mac user, you could not pay me to go back to PC after 18 years using the mac platform (i occasional have to use one & hate it) , so the choices are limited when it comes to cnc that will work well with mac
2) it looks to be far sturdier & better made than the x-crave whichis similar and both are decendents of each other
3) the softwear is easy to use, and straight forwards, i have not used any cad or similar design softewear for 15 years and i want to ease into it
3) spares, customer service backup & mods are readily available
4) ease of build - im new to all this.

p.s - if i was a PC user i would also consider the ooznest machines.

giantbeat":21gpb2fo said:
yeah, several factors
1) im a mac user, you could not pay me to go back to PC after 18 years using the mac platform (i occasional have to use one & hate it) , so the choices are limited when it comes to cnc that will work well with mac
2) it looks to be far sturdier & better made than the x-crave whichis similar and both are decendents of each other
3) the softwear is easy to use, and straight forwards, i have not used any cad or similar design softewear for 15 years and i want to ease into it
3) spares, customer service backup & mods are readily available
4) ease of build - im new to all this.

p.s - if i was a PC user i would also consider the ooznest machines.
Don't base your decision on xcarve reviews older than 18 months old.

Things have moved on a lot.

I have the new 2017 XCarve and it is excellent.

Assembly is splug and play. X Controller is a full all in one unit now.

And most importantly the gantry is one piece and very stiff.

Some reviews say it is better than the Shapeoko 3.

I chose it because the support and user forum was the most helpful and there are just more guides and help around for it.

I run mine with a Makita 0700 Router and have even successfuly milled aluminium.

Good stuff, enjoy the CNC whatever you decide. They are useful machines that open up options.

I Also have a X-Carve and was only using Mac's. In the end I ended up buying a cheap Windows PC for it as I wanted to get into V Carving and using the Mac was limiting my choices. I started using F-Engrave which is free and finally last year bought Vcarve desktop which is a massive improvement and so easy to use but I had to swallow my pride to get a windows machine, good luck with the Shapoko they can become addictive, I ended up using nearly all my offcuts up carving random pieces.

Ian

I've no experience of the specific V Carve software, but I'd heard a lot about Easel not supporting V Carving (although it does now in the pro version). What I did was just use Fusion 360 to generate the V Carve paths - it is worth learning as you have pretty much unlimited options in the CAM mode, I only use Easel as a G-Code sender now...

Just thought I'd point out that vcarve works perfectly under vmware fusion. I've been looking into this quite a bit of late and think I'd go with running under vmware fusion and then sending the gcode to a raspberry pi running the gcode sender more local to the cnc.

I did find MeshCam which can take an stl generated by OpenSCAD (Free) and produce g-code - all as mac native software. If you don't like OpenSCAD there's FreeCAD (Also Free) which runs under OSX too.

I've been playing with vcarve under vmware with Windows 10 and running with unity you only see the application window, not the rest of the windows environment. The price is a little *gulp* for vcarve though.

I've had a look at the ooznest machines, primarily as they're UK based so support is localised. I'd be interested in what machines/software other people have and their opinions of them.

Size, well it is important isn't it. Most machines seem to top out at 1000mm x 1000mm but the ooznest machines go up to 1500mm x 1500mm with most combinations inbetween. I really don't think I have the space for a 1500x1500 (although I'd love it) and even a 1500x1000 is pushing my luck - I'm not sure I want to go 1000x1000 since the projects I have in mind I need some length (Fnarr!) - although I've been thinking about options to try and get round that. Price difference between sizes seems negligable really e.g. 1500x1500 is only £125 more than 1000x1000 - which is causing me much consternation. The other decision, of course, with the ooznest is screw drive or belt.

I'm looking in to one a CNC controlled router myself, and so have probably done similar research to others here. I'd also be interested on any thoughts as to how the the Shapeoko 3 and latest X-Carve stack up compared to the new Ooznest Workbee.

I get the general impression that customers of all three mostly end up happy with what they get, and so eventually it's just a matter of pulling the trigger on one and learning to make the best of it.

Hi All
Looking to buy a Shapeoko 3 XL in the uk, and can anyone recommend a site for buying from the uk.

plumbjet":28lpu4m1 said:
Hi All
Looking to buy a Shapeoko 3 XL in the uk, and can anyone recommend a site for buying from the uk.
They sell direct from the USA.

Doing a quick Google for a UK reseller brings up a choice of 1. So you don't have much of an option :)

Only reseller I have experience of is Robosavvy where I bought an X Carve waste board. They seemed fine.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

J_Ashley":2a6vpf57 said:
I'm looking in to one a CNC controlled router myself, and so have probably done similar research to others here. I'd also be interested on any thoughts as to how the the Shapeoko 3 and latest X-Carve stack up compared to the new Ooznest Workbee.

I get the general impression that customers of all three mostly end up happy with what they get, and so eventually it's just a matter of pulling the trigger on one and learning to make the best of it.
This kind of question would only bring about recommendations from what people own.

I have a 3rd generation xcarve with much stiffer frame and plug and play xcontroller and I really like it. Cuts hardwood and aluminium. Hard to beat for the price and the support on offer.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Just thought I would point out that there are options to run Windows on a Mac, I use Parallels, which is excellent, recently downgraded from Windows 10 back to 7, Really did not like Windows 10.

Mike

Latest posts

Back