Draper 09543 230-Volt 1,Planer Thicknnerer help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manxnorton

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
my head is on fire, getting bogged down with what item I should buy.
For space and maybe money, thinking a jointer/planer combo.
as you know theres hundreds of YouTube reviews, and would love any suggestions.
TBH money issues for now would be £300.

looking at this Draper 09543 230-Volt 1,500-Watt Bench-Mounted Planer Thicknesser £276.98.
Any help be really appreciated.
Bri

Everyone is going to give you a different answer depending on what they bought. Group test reviews (if you can find them) are more objective.

For this budget the Triton gets good reviews.

If you can spend £80 more, I would recommend the Metabo because that's what I have and it is excellent.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Just re-read your post. It is a combo machine you are looking at.

All of these are essentially the same Chinawese clone (Titan, Scheppach, Erbauer etc.) so don't pay a lot. They are very limited. I found the jointer mode to be very limited due to the fact the tables are alloy and don't have the mass needed to cut out vibrations which alter how the machine cuts. In the end I only used it in thicknesser mode. And eventually I sold it for the Metabo thicknesser.

These machines are crazy noisy too and your are limited on width.

I would just buy a thicknesser or put more budget in and look at something like the £650 Metabo or maybe even the bigger Jet.

I have a jointer hand plane to go the initial flattening and then run it through the thicknesser.

Bodgers":11ibj5wb said:
Just re-read your post. It is a combo machine you are looking at.

All of these are essentially the same Chinawese clone (Titan, Scheppach, Erbauer etc.) so don't pay a lot. They are very limited. I found the jointer mode to be very limited due to the fact the tables are alloy and don't have the mass needed to cut out vibrations which alter how the machine cuts. In the end I only used it in thicknesser mode. And eventually I sold it for the Metabo thicknesser.

These machines are crazy noisy too and your are limited on width.

I would just buy a thicknesser or put more budget in and look at something like the £650 Metabo or maybe even the bigger Jet.

I have a jointer hand plane to go the initial flattening and then run it through the thicknesser.

Hi pal,
Really appreciate all of the help.
now then, its coming clearer (just lol!) that I need to bin the combo option.
Just but a thicknesser instead. :wink: =D>
that sorted, which Metabo model you are thinking of :?:
and of course which hand planer you have?
any links to help me be great.
thank you so much.
Bri

found this one?
Bri

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    486.2 KB · Views: 441
Yep that's the one I have. The Triton is under £300 though, and apparently it is ok.

I use hand planes to flatten stuff atm, so I have a ECE jack plane and Stanley low angle jack for that.

You could do the same thing with a power planer I suppose.

The Metabo for £650 I was talking about is a combo machine. I have no experience of it, but it is probably the minimum you should be looking at to get a useable combo machine.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

thanks so much.
i'll prop use my power planer, as one handed with a hand plane might be rubbish.
and of course the cost.
now saving up for the thicknesser
Cheers
Bri

Bri

Unless you are retired or have plenty of time, hand planing can be a pain and very time consuming, in my case my Arthritic hands will not allow that type of abuse anymore, in the end you will eventually end up buying a planer, so why not buy a combination machine now.

Mike

MikeJhn":1edup7ek said:
Bri

Unless you are retired or have plenty of time, hand planing can be a pain and very time consuming, in my case my Arthritic hands will not allow that type of abuse anymore, in the end you will eventually end up buying a planer, so why not buy a combination machine now.

Mike

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm great advice Mike.
I like where you coming from.
for all the power planer I got does the job (but need more practice) and my arm is aching after that.
OK in summer, but winter months with arther-istis and repeated with the good hand going to be proper rubbish. :lol:
I'll really think mike, b4 I make a decision.
Thanks lots.
Bri

Latest posts

Back