Underground wasp nest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AJB Temple":1tcrvr5e said:
We are positive towards bees, but not wasps. It's not entirely logical.

The difference is that honey bees have a barbed stinger that tears out if they sting and they die, wasps don't have the barb and can happily sting you, withdraw the stinger and fly off without a care in the world. Hence bees are a little more circumspect about using their sting. I was stung once on the bare back by a wasp while bent over digging a trench - totally unprovoked - and have been wary of the bad tempered little b*stards ever since.

I was once stung on the bum through my trousers.........with the ball in mid-air in the middle of a B&H cup semi-final. That wasn't as bad as the time I got a wasp inside my shirt whilst descending a hill on my bike at 30+ mph, with both hands occupied keeping control (barely) of the bike. And the 50+ stings to my head/ neck/ face I got from a mass attack in the middle of Zaire, probably 1000 miles away from the nearest hospital. Despite all that, I won't kill a wasps' nest unless I absolutely have to, which pretty much means that it has to be threatening my use of the house. As I said right at the start, they'll die off anyway in 2 or 3 weeks time, (and the birds and bats need the food).

I was hammering the KH250 home ..... (well to the pub) one summer's evening after work when I went into a right hand bend "a bit quickly" :D - sparks flying from the offside silencer - when I heard zzzzzz zzzzz zzzz ........... a wasp inside my visor. [-o< I had no choice but to leave it there until I straightened up. I flipped the visor up and it flew away without stinging me.

They did scrape a bit on right handers didn't they.

Pete

I wrote one off by hitting a 50MPH sign at about 90 walked away without a scratch.

Pete

A builder i know was working on a house & one of his mates discovered a large wasp nest in the loft, it had to go due to the works so he drew the short straw. Arming himself with a tin of fly spray & tin of aerosol wasp nest destroyer he went up into the loft to give the wasps what for. One of his "mates" thought it would be a jolly jape to come up the ladder behind him & throw a half brick at the nest. Of course the brick did a direct hit & the wasps issued forth to do battle. He got badly stung before he escaped.

As a c. six year old, waking on a lovely hazy summer weekend morning, I spied a wasp buzzing at the inside of my bedroom window about 3ft to my right. I figured could probably open the sash to let it out and therefore allow me to continue to enjoy not having to get up for school without worrying about the wasp.

I focussed on it intently, ready to flee if it decided to round on me, as I slowly pulled back the covers and and proceeded to stealthily step out of bed in a manner not to draw its attention to my movement. The intense pains (plural!) in my foot forced me to take my eye of the single wasp and look down. I seemed to have a new "rug", one that was not there when I went to bad the previous evening and was very, very painful to stand on...

It seems some wasps that were nesting nearby had decided to come in through a crack in my window and swarm on my floor...

AJB Temple":yug4gt7q said:
There was a professor on radio 4 yesterday pointing out that wasps are only briefly nuisance to humans and the rest of the time they do sterling service eating insects, as they are carnivores. They are excellent pollinators and we should not regard them as pests. It got me thinking. We are positive towards bees, but not wasps. It's not entirely logical.

Yep, I read something about that too, but I still don't like them much. I reckon we may be pretty 'hard wired' to dislike wasps mainly because of the painful stings they can inflict, but agree, they do good stuff in the environment - Rob

AJB Temple":3a0jwfpg said:
There was a professor on radio 4 yesterday pointing out that wasps are only briefly nuisance to humans and the rest of the time they do sterling service eating insects, as they are carnivores. They are excellent pollinators and we should not regard them as pests. It got me thinking. We are positive towards bees, but not wasps. It's not entirely logical.

I have never once been harassed, chased, and stung by a bee. In fact I have never had one fly anywhere near me when out and about. Wasps on the other hand seem to appear as soon as food appears, and sometimes even without food.

As a first aider. If anyone gets stung more than 3 times, I will be sending them to hospital. Histamines will be building up in the body to dangerous levels.

bourbon":s0ycpk65 said:
As a first aider. If anyone gets stung more than 3 times, I will be sending them to hospital. Histamines will be building up in the body to dangerous levels.

Great a 5hr wait in A&E, with no access to any ice or cooling spray or antihistamine tablets, £18 to park.
You may think you'd be sending me to hospital but I wouldn't be going. :D not without a fight anyway :D

As a young child I confess I had the bug bug. I'd collect caterpillars and watch them metamorphose into butterflies, kept worms in a wormery, spiders and beetles in old shoe boxes and I'd fish for shrimps and leeches in the nearby stream - I was a lovely kid really.

On one occasion - no more than six years old at the time - my playmates and myself observed wasps going in and out of a hole beneath a concrete garden path. Naturally, this fascinated us. We discovered if we poked a stick into the hole then one would come out to investigate and we could trap it in an old jam jar (with holes punched in - we may have been gruesome but we weren't cruel!) When they stopped responding to the twig trick, Tommy the Elder decided too go big and promptly rammed a broom handle in the hole. That worked. Boy, did that work - the whole bloody lot came out. Tommy froze but George and I ran like the clappers. Our young - little - legs were never going to out pace an angry swarm and reminiscent of a scene from some HItchcock movie they soon swarmed all over us. They were in my hair, my mouth, my socks and underpants - everywhere. I got stung so badly I was off school for about two weeks, mostly because the amount of swelling meant I couldn't even wear shoes. George was badly stung too but frozen Tommy of the brush handle escaped unscathed, not one sting did he receive.

The garden was a no-go area for days afterwards and even with all the windows and doors kept closed there was still a lot of swatting going on. Some weeks later, a man from the local council's pest control division came to inspect the 'problem'. George and I were playing outside the front of the house when he arrived and minutes later he came tearing past us, with the swarm chasing him down the street. It really was like you see in kids cartoons, with so many of them giving chase it did look like he was being followed by a black cloud. George and I had learnt our lesson and we threw ourselves against the wall, not moving till they were well away from us. And we both had 'told you so smirks' as we watched this man standing in the kitchen with his trousers round his ankles while mum flicked away with a tea towel.

At least, I think that's what she was doing!

bourbon":3cwa9jfv said:

As a beekeeper, I had at least 50 stings on one occasion (my wife gave up counting at 50) when dealing with a particularly angry hive because they didn't like me taking their honey.
Should I go to the hospital?

whiskywill":7rp7ntcp said:
bourbon":7rp7ntcp said:

As a beekeeper, I had at least 50 stings on one occasion (my wife gave up counting at 50) when dealing with a particularly angry hive because they didn't like me taking their honey.
Should I go to the hospital?

I have heard comments like Bourbon's before (think I saw on Discovery channel) that the first time you get stung your body reacts and you don't know the full extent of that reaction until you get stung for a second time, hopefully nothing might happen but there's also the possibility that you can go into anaphylactic shock. That second sting is the big decider. After that it doesn't matter so much.

Back