New table saw on a budget buying advice please...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond UK

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking to replace my Scheppach TS30 for something with a cast iron top and smaller blade diameter.

I've been speaking to Ian at Poolewood and he recommended a Charnwood W619 or a W629.

Both similar machines by the looks of it apart from one is 8" and the other 10" and 1.5hp and the other 3hp respectively.

I'm on a budget as I have two expensive kids, Christmas coming up etc so I'm leaning towards the W619.

The saw I have now has a 3hp induction motor and has been great but let down by the pressed table top, no mitre slots and it's not all that accurate. Question is, will the 1.5hp motor on the W619 struggle or will it be OK? I don't think I can stretch to the W629 at £780.00 opposed to £595.00 for the W619.

99% of the time it will be cutting 18mm pine and occasionally 20mm pine.

I think this saw has been out for quite a while so there might be users on here that own the W619 and can give me some insight. I really don't want to change saws again in 4 years time.

Thanks in advance

Ray

When I had my old table saw it had a 10" blade and I'm sure a 2kw motor (3hp) that would go through 60mm of maple without any bother. My track saw will go through 40mm of oak (like today) so would think that 20mm of pine would easily be dealt with by the 8" model.

Cheers for that.

I was just wondering as it's half the hp but a smaller blade might make the difference.

I have a 12" 3hp saw now but the blade is only raised one third of the max depth of cut so a bit of overkill really.

I have been told that the W629 is a more sturdy machine compared to the W619 but I don't think I can stretch to the W629.

I can't actually remember the last time I cut anything other than pine.

I've seen that one yes. It needs to be pretty accurate (fence to blade) I don't think I'll use the table much as I don't with my current saw.

The sliding carriage is cast iron on the Charnwood so might slide better than on my monkey metal rail?

Is the sliding carriage cast on the Draper too?

I'll do some research at my dinner break tomorrow as it does look similar to the Charnwood. I think they all do to be honest.

The Charwood 619 look to be a clone of the Axminster TS200 and the Charwood 629 a clone of the Axminster TS250-2 which are both perfectly good saws in their own right, the Charwood spec says they have more powerful motors, but the Axminster saws look as though they have a better fence, I would look at both of them if you have a chance and make your own mind up which you want, don't be surprised how much fettling you will have to do on any one of them to make them work satisfactorily.

Mike

Back