New workshop project about to start

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kris
when you bury the soakaway crates wrap them in the old bulk bags to stop the soil getting in and filling them and reducing their efficiency

Thanks haggis for the tip. These actually came with the proper geo textile membrane so all good here but I know that these bulk bags have many uses so I will keep them.

Had a quick play with the digger and lifted some of the slabs and I found that underneath there is lots of hardcore and a bit of a concrete slab - so chuffed with this as this means less work for me. I will only need to dig a bit at the back as my new workshop will be bigger than the old shed was and level it all up.

I don't know about you guys but I had this feeling today when the equipment and materials started arriving today, that there is no turning back now and I have to get this done. It was a positive motivational feeling.

Only thing I haven't decided yet is whether to go for a 7.5x4m or 7x4.5m shed. I need to decide by tomorrow :shock:

Well, day 1 was mixed. I did manage to clear all of the rubbish away into the skip. There was decking at the back which I had to dig up, cut into manageable pieces and throw in the skip - that took a while. There was lots of sleepers all around which at first I didn't notice and these are very heavy and again I had to cut them up before throwing away. This all takes so much time. I still have another 6 sleepers to remove before I can start bringing in the hardcore. So far this wasn't much fun

Forecast for tomorrow isn't great but nevertheless I will still plough on

Kris, re concrete, dont know which way you are going , mix yourself, volumetric ( mix on site) or Ready Mix (mixer truck delivery) , as someone that batches concrete for a living be careful , getting material delivered to site and mixing a barrowload at a time will save a little money ( you will be surprised at how little) volumetric you can order roughley what you want have a little more or a little less than what's required and have no waste, around here the price is approx £130 m3 and you get 15 mins a m3 to unload, readymix from 1 of the more reputupiutable suppliers should be approx £90 a m3 , trucks hold 6m3 (we have mainly 8M3 trucks) if you want less than 6m3 you may be charged for uncarried meterage at half price IE if you want 5 m3 , it will be 5X£90 + 1 X£45, the main drawback is waiting time is charged at about £120 per hour after 30 mins , i know this seems excessive but Readymix is after bulk and small 1 off jobs are a pain as they hold the trucks up when they could be on major pours (100m3 +).
i have 2 sheds up the 1st the base was done by volumetric truck before i started in the readymix industry, as i worked out it was so much cheaper, (the quality was a lot less inferior than readymix)
2nd was done with my current employer, with staff discount and a drink for my driver to deliver to my house on a saturday morning.
that said some of the volumetric firms are shall we say using inferior material, i have seen recycled glass , and crushed concrete going in the mixes , with the major suppliers (Hanson , Cemex Tarmac, Lafarge ect) you will get a guarantee of quality (QSRMS scheme or equivalent).

you pay your money you take your choice
Hope this helps
Tim

Hi Tim. I'm gonna have a ready mix delivered by a truck from a reputable company. Very good quality concrete and recommended by everyone around me, including a neighbour who worked there and had his shed base done. They wheelbarrow everything for you free of charge too which is fantastic!
I've worked out I will need around 7-8 m3. Really can't wait to have the base done so can start seeing some progress

Kris the Handyman":kxbte085 said:
Hi Tim. I'm gonna have a ready mix delivered by a truck from a reputable company. Very good quality concrete and recommended by everyone around me, including a neighbour who worked there and had his shed base done. They wheelbarrow everything for you free of charge too which is fantastic!
I've worked out I will need around 7-8 m3. Really can't wait to have the base done so can start seeing some progress

sounds Good, i'm sure that the right move, and if they barrow it for you that is one hell of a bonus, dont forget to post some pictures

This is where I'm at after the weekend.

After I dug the ground up a bit I've discovered that there is actually no slab underneath but breeze blocks instead and lots of bricks. The guy that I hired the digger from is such a nice bloke - he came to pick up the scrap wood and saw that I was struggling with the build and started helping. He removed the remaining 3 sleepers and put them on the skip with the digger and then moved all the rubble around for me. He then helped me get all the squares right and left me to it. I then wheelbarrowed 1 tonne of the hardcore before John the gent (the digger guy) appeared again a couple hours later and helped me spread another 2 tonnes. He's gonna come back again next Saturday with his digger to help finish it off. He doesn't want any money for the help - we have a deal that once I'm finished here I will go and help him with his work. He lives just across the field from me.

Now here comes the annoying bit. After I measured everything up and levelled everything... I may need to move the whole form around 1 more meter from the back fence because my wife wants a patio over there. Now, I knew that and I was 100% sure how big she wanted it so I left 1.9m of space there but she thinks that this isn't enough. She isn't insisting on it but I'm sure we all know how women are - if I don't do it I will hear the moan for the rest of my life. I will double check with her in a couple days time. I like the idea of a little patio at the back there because the views are really stunning there and it's a very private spot

The base stays where it is - that's after I've checked 10 times with my wife if she is sure

The base is now nearly finished. I've had to wheelbarrow the remaining bags of hardcore myself because John didn't turn up and none of the "eager" neighbours where there to help.

I had a quick play with Sketchup and this is more or less what I want the shed to look like. I still haven't decided on the roof though because I do like the look of those cement tiles that look like slates but all the house roof in this area are brown concrete.

Careful, Kris. Vertical boards require a horizontal batten over a vertical counterbatten, which means a 50mm gap between boards and the frame. Check your junction detail with the plinth, and check your insect mesh.

Flying haggis - for me this is the middle sweet spot between not having a window over there at all and have more wall/tool space and having a great view. The window I have is 1.5x1.3m so decent size. Only the top 2 small windows open and the bottom glass doesn't open at all, which is exactly what I wanted.

Mike - I will cross that bridge when I get there, so far it's not 100% decided whether it's horizontal or vertical . I like the natural look of wood and I thought of putting just a clear coat over the cladding and not paint it.

I have decided to order a bit more hardcore and sand. The base sits on a well compacted ground as the old shed used to sit there but I don't feel confident of having just 50mm of hardcore on one of the edges so I will put a lot more on.

So far it's quite boring and I'm looking forward to the next steps

Quick question for you gents. Is 120mm on one side (just one side - left hand side) and 80-90mm in some low bits in the centre (average is around 100mm) enough for the concrete slab? I will have a mesh.
If it's not enough then no worries, I will add more boards all around

2 days before the day of the pour I decided that I wasn't happy about my shuttering and ripped it all out and started again. This time I've used 4x2's. At one point I was running with the wheelbarrow so fast that I've moved and whacked down 3 Tonnes of sand in just under 2 hours.
The concrete truck was due to arrive on Saturday at 13:00 and on Friday my building site looked like this

Saturday was very windy but with a help of a friend of mine we've managed to put the DPM down without any problems and it all looked like this

At 12:00 I get a phone call "we're running a bit late so will be with you around 3:30-4:00" I thought that's alright, that will give me time to catch a breath but unfortunately at around 4pm I get another phone call "we won't make it today ". I wasn't happy but what can you do so I've rescheduled the pour to next Saturday.
So what else can you do other than go and play with a digger :D

Hooray! The base is down

It's raining today and I don't see any pooling which means a very flat and level base :D

Cost wise I paid £780 for 6.6 Cubic M. Included in the price is the wheelbarrowing and general help with levelling, etc.

This was a milestone for me and I'm really happy with the result. Today I was looking up various flooring solutions and I will most likely go for a 2 part epoxy and some foam interlocking mats around the bench

Looking good Kris, thanks for sharing this.

The white pipe with the blue tape in the bottom left of the pic, is that for electrics?

Kris, I hope that the two bits of pipe for the electric feed into the workshop have a gentle bend on them as you might struggle to get a decent size cable through. and dont forget while you have a trench open to put in any other cables ethernet,phone,alarm tv sattelite etc (or just duct) at the same time possibly water pipe as well

Latest posts

Back