Rolling flat bar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrahamIreland

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm trying to think how to create a circular ring from flat bar. Maybe 5mm thick.

The circle would be flat part facing up, so wondering can a flat bar 50mm wide be put through rollers on its edge.

Hopefully you understand me..

Thanks
Graham

What’s the finished diameter? If it’s smallish it might be easier to turn it from solid.

I understand what you mean but I'm not sure if it's even possible to do that with that kind of width and thickness, Edge bending is a nightmare even on thinner material that's not as wide. Even if it is possible, I'm pretty sure it requires a bit more kit than just a pair of rollers.

Yes, thanks fellas, I thought as much.

I was just thinking about making my own type of round stool.

But I can see myself pulling into a metal fabricators asking for 2 flat bars rolled.. :)

They'd be well impressed.

£15 please! half days labour.

Question already answered I think!

But not necessarily a metal fabricators, how about a black smith? May well cost you that 15 quid, but less than a half days work I think, but worth it surely? As others have said, you aren't go to roll 5mm x 50mm stuff into a decent circle with the gear you're likely to find in any home workshop.

Whats wrong with an angle grinder with 1mm cutting discs, cheapest from the pound shop or motor factors, a good grinding disc,
a drill and some files?
Wear an old jumper for the cutting
Tom

I think I misunderstood the OP. he said, QUOTE: The circle would be flat part facing up UNQUOTE:

IF that means a "disc" 5 mm thick and 50mm "wide" (i.e. with a hole of ID 50 mm LESS than its OD) then I'd say NO chance of bending/rolling it like that. There's much too much stretch required at the OD of the circle, and much too much compression required at the ID of the circle.

Options, as already suggested, would be some company with a flame cutter (ideally CNC if you want a really nice circle), or fabricate it yourself out of much thinner discs cut from sheet then "stuck" together to build up the required thickness (e.g. 5 rings 1mm thick each). "Stuck" could be epoxy, possibly soft solder, hard solder/braze (better) or weld.

Sorry I misunderstood.

basically the op is wanting a big pineappleing washer, easiest way is to cut some sheet stock.

Back