Rare and broken circular sock knitting machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NazNomad":fnvdxbst said:
Have you searched to see if there's a patent, with drawings?

Done many searches and there is an enormous amount of information out there, unfortunately, not much to do with this particular model.
Cheers
Andy

Might be worth contacting a textiles museum. There is an industrial museum in Bradford, which has a section on the upper floor dedicated to textiles machinery.
There is also the Framework Knitters museum in Nottingham. They have a section ( might be a different organisation) in a disused chapel just across a lane which has a collection of Queen Victoria's stockings, and they were machine made.
And I'm sure the Welsh Woollen museum in Felindre, Ceredigion has sock machines.

K

bourbon":3knyu9kw said:
Is it broken or missing? Have you seen another? what material is it made of? You could possibly have it cast
Broken part missing, yes I have an image but not enough detail, made of nickel plated brass? and I could replicate myself with sufficient details 8)
Cheers
Andy

I think this is a different model...

rotary_knitter.jpg

rotary_knitter2.jpg

but it could work as a reminder - as discussed - the world experts on these things are relatively near to you at the Wigston Framework Knitters Museum - have you got round to taking yours there to show them yet? They have several different models, in various states of repair.

Allow plenty of time, as they will be ready to talk in as much detail as you want.

And for anyone who's not been, it's a fascinating little museum, run by volunteers, preserving some wonderful old machinery which used to be of huge economic importance.

Attachments

• rotary_knitter.jpg
    rotary_knitter.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 1,209
  • rotary_knitter2.jpg
    rotary_knitter2.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 1,209
graduate_owner":3u0kunr3 said:
Might be worth contacting a textiles museum. There is an industrial museum in Bradford, which has a section on the upper floor dedicated to textiles machinery.
There is also the Framework Knitters museum in Nottingham. They have a section ( might be a different organisation) in a disused chapel just across a lane which has a collection of Queen Victoria's stockings, and they were machine made.
And I'm sure the Welsh Woollen museum in Felindre, Ceredigion has sock machines.

K
Did a bit of ringing round the other day with no joy, except to say how pleasant those I spoke to were 8)
Did take it to Ruddington Nottingham and caused quite a stir.
Cheers
Andy

AndyT":1ipiffbd said:
I think this is a different model.

but it could work as a reminder - as discussed - the world experts on these things are relatively near to you at the Wigston Framework Knitters Museum - have you got round to taking yours there to show them yet? They have several different models, in various states of repair.

Allow plenty of time, as they will be ready to talk in as much detail as you want.

And for anyone who's not been, it's a fascinating little museum, run by volunteers, preserving some wonderful old machinery which used to be of huge economic importance.

No Andy, not been back recently to check it out :oops:
Looked on Google for a number and no joy, just followed your link and there's one :roll:
The only other web results are pinterest and a lady who I've made contact with a couple of times but to keep pressing is borderline stalking :shock:
Cheers
Andy

Milne25, you are a star, that is the same machine for sure.
Looks like you may have found this thread via a search engine or maybe with the Wigston group,as you signed up to post your picture and for that I thank you.
I am, with trepidation, going to ask if this machine is with yourself, someone else or just a picture you have?
And the million dollar question, is there a chance of me getting to see my missing part so as to produce a copy please?
If you don't mind I'll send you a message to see if we may have a chat regarding this.
Cheers Andy

Back