Record Power RPBS 12

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lc25

Reaction score
Hi,

Been a lurker for a while, should have registered sooner.....

Hopefully i have this in the right place, i have recently acquired a record power RPBS 12 however it has a few niggles and i am looking for some guidance. I have had a search and a few threads came up with previous advice but they are from a while ago and i wanted to get peoples current views.

Firstly it doesn't cut straight at all, i have tweaked the tensioner and checked over what i can but its made little difference. This is my first bandsaw so i am hoping an owner can guide me or at least offer me some advice. It hasn't had a hard life but its not had much spent on it either.

I know it needs a new blade - open to advice here. (in all fairness it will spend most of its life rough cutting and nothing fine but who knows).

Replacement guide system from Bedford ?
(it won't let me link as i am new but i got the link from a previous thread)

Any other recommendations on how to improve the straightness and overall running of the machine ?

Thanks

Most definitely a new quality blade would help considerably with your cuts, try one from Tuff Saws. If all you're planning on doing is general cutting I would suggest one of their 10mm or 12mm Supertuff Premium blades, very sharp and fast cutting. I always thought my saw was the problem as far as drifting and inaccuracy, but it was the cheap blades.

I personally wouldn't bother considering buying replacement guides for a saw like that, they cost almost as much as you could buy the saw for and they wouldn't really provide much better quality of cut than what's already there.

Try a new QUALITY blade first and go from there.

Thanks for the quick reply, i am assuming the cheap blade i have in now is probably why it was almost stopping the blade when i was cutting some scrap wood ?

lc25":c2qjk4sc said:
Thanks for the quick reply, i am assuming the cheap blade i have in now is probably why it was almost stopping the blade when i was cutting some scrap wood ?

More than likely it is very dull and needs replacing.

Ok thanks, ordered a blade and will update this once installed. Thanks for your help.

Can i ask if there is anything i need to watch out for after swapping the blade ? tips for setting it up ?

lc25":32o91soz said:
Ok thanks, ordered a blade and will update this once installed. Thanks for your help.

Can i ask if there is anything i need to watch out for after swapping the blade ? tips for setting it up ?

Not much else I can tell you that the thousands of youtube videos on the subject won't tell you.

AND, IMO, buy the DVDs on band saws and set up from Workshop Essentials (aka Steve Maskery of this parish). IMO worth every penny, and you'll learn a lot if you know nothing about band saws, and at least "a bit" if you've had previous experience. Usual disclaimers

Just follow the tips in this video, it features Alax Snodgrass the guru of Bandsaws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxVyKsbuwZQ you will not find better set up instructions anywhere.

Everyone else's points on a decent blade is essential, Tuff Saws are a revelation, talk to them for the best blade for your use.

Mike

The very important point that most videos dont explain well, is the blade relationship to the rear bearing guide.
The side bearings are obviously there to stop the blade wandering sideways, you set them so they ALMOST touch the blade.
The rear bearing guide is there for the sole purpose of protecting the teeth.
You must NEVER run the blade so that the teeth are squeezed by the side bearings. A brand new blade will be dead in the water after 2 seconds with the teeth being squeezed closed.

Get the bearing assemblies as far back from the blade as possible while tensioning the blade. Then when the blade is tensioned set the side bearings so that about 1/3rd the width of the blade is between them. Then push the blade back hard with your fingers. The blade should now be about 2/3rds into the side bearings. Adjust the rear bearing so that it stops the teeth from reaching the side bearings.
Do this on the top bearing set first, then repeat on the bottom set.

Back