Best new chuck?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm picking up a new chuck for the lathe - I'm thinking of getting a patriot with the 30x3.5 insert, anyone have (and like) this chuck? Are there any good alternatives?

thanks as always
Joe

Also interested in the answer to this. I have a second hand vicmarc vm100 which came with one set of jaws. More than good enough for me but extra jaws are not super common if I find the need for more in future.

off topic, but I found that the vm100 jaws are worth importing from timberbits in Australia. I actually got my chuck from there too.

I've got a SuperNova chuck and it does the job, I've heard good things about the Versachuck, RS Patriot and Axminster chucks.

At the end of the day, they all hold wood. Whether each is better than the other is up for debate.

Out of curiosity, what is your machine?

JWD":2xzw7vgr said:
Hey folks, I'm picking up a new chuck for the lathe - I'm thinking of getting a patriot with the 30x3.5 insert, anyone have (and like) this chuck? Are there any good alternatives?

thanks as always
Joe

One aspect to consider with chuck choice is the variety of accessory jaws available and if they are likely to give you the options you are likely to desire in the future.

The latter aspect is a bit of a chicken and egg situation for someone starting on the turning road as it's likely to be one or two years down the line that the desire to tackle the more obscure holding methods is considered.

the machine is a woodfast MC908 :) spindle is 30x3.5 - RS do an insert for the patriot, it says RH am i right in thinking that is for the inboard end?

Back